Climate change woes
18-11-2013 09:18 AM
debono Online
Elite Member

Article found in the Straits Times on 18 Nov 2013

Developing nations have vented their anger at the UN climate change summit in Warsaw on the failure of the world's richest countries to live up to their climate change pledges. Those with existential threats following rising oceans have lost patience as talks have led to no solution. PAGE A16
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2013 11:56 AM
rat28 Offline

On my journey to save the earth from environmental destruction, I figured out pretty quickly that the main problem is the economy. Pretty much every time there’s an idea that would make things less destructive and more sustainable, the argument against it is always: “It will be bad for economic growth.”
18-11-2013 12:02 PM
debono Online
Elite Member

(18-11-2013 11:56 AM)rat28 Wrote:  On my journey to save the earth from environmental destruction, I figured out pretty quickly that the main problem is the economy. Pretty much every time there’s an idea that would make things less destructive and more sustainable, the argument against it is always: “It will be bad for economic growth.”

It is important to slow down the "Greenhouse effect".....to switch from coal-fired generating stations to oil-fired, gas-fired, hydro-electric powered stations, solar energy, wind-powerd turbine farms, or even nuclear-powered ones.....
18-11-2013 12:15 PM
rat28 Offline

Not going to happen.. China need 7.5% growth rate to maintain social stability.. They don't even care about their coal-fired plants are poisoning their own citizen.. As for the Chinese people, they value wealth over health.. So they are probably a good accomplice for their Commie master in destroying the environment.
18-11-2013 12:58 PM
debono Online
Elite Member

(18-11-2013 12:15 PM)rat28 Wrote:  Not going to happen.. China need 7.5% growth rate to maintain social stability.. They don't even care about their coal-fired plants are poisoning their own citizen.. As for the Chinese people, they value wealth over health.. So they are probably a good accomplice for their Commie master in destroying the environment.

I see some truths in what you are advocating......but these health issues will manifest itself many decades after the high carbon emission effects. It does not happen immediately, also, the coal-fired power stations are giving a negative effect to global warming, and that is a selfish act, as global warming involves the whole world, not only themselves...........
18-11-2013 01:14 PM
rat28 Offline

Modern lifestyle is build on the premise of progress and expansion. Yet our vision of a future of unimpeded opportunities and comfort is now in conflict with the health of the planet. The consumer culture requires continuous acquisition, and it is built on disposable goods. And it is unfortunate that consumer culture now defines much of the world. Our way of life has created an unprecedented crisis on a planetary scale.

If the planet Earth is completely unlivable , it is our own doing. The last 100 years especially after human civilization started industrialization, we have been exploiting the earth resource to the tilt. As a result, the damage to the earth eco-system has been so devastating by the current civilization that even the resource utilized by our ancestors for the past 4900 years combined to sustain their civilization pale in comparison.

I think it is too late to save the world..the seed has already been planted when human think they can conquer nature. Since industrial revolution started, human being has the mean to plunder all the worldly resources, killing record number of living species and driving them to extinction. For the last 200 years, human being have used more resources by drilling more oil, digging more minerals ,cutting more trees and killing records number of animals/fish for food.. What we have exploited in the last 200 years is more than what our ancestors have used for the last 5000 years.. Something is going to give within our lifetime, the pollution and more natural disasters will make sure we die a terrible death.. it is inevitable to stop it now, we have greedy Corporation collaborating with MSM and govt firmly in control. Everyone is addicted to economic growth and unlimited prosperity.
18-11-2013 01:17 PM
p0la Offline
Elite Member

How many aircons were installed when I was born?

Now we have millions (???) of them on this small island!!!!!
18-11-2013 01:35 PM
debono Online
Elite Member

(18-11-2013 01:17 PM)p0la Wrote:  How many aircons were installed when I was born?

Now we have millions (???) of them on this small island!!!!!

Closer to billions..........
18-11-2013 01:44 PM
bw2013 Offline

rat28, very deep stuff there you wrote. Your piece has an armageddon-like slant to it. Against bro pola's earlier thread on spirituality, i sense some connection there on this pertinent question of what lies ahead for all of us.
18-11-2013 01:47 PM
rat28 Offline

We are over-abusing our natural resource comparing to our ancestors..We bought too much stuffs and all the crap we bought won't last too long. We used to eat meat during festival days and own just enough clothing. Now we eat meat everyday and a typical modern woman own a closet of more than 100+ clothing and shoes!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Possibly Related Threads...