Login . Register .
Latest Trades
tan kok bengOPENSHORT$1.090UMS HOLDINGS LIMITED
Alice AliciaCLOSEDSHORT0.72%SOILBUILD BUSINESS SPACE REIT
latebird2000CLOSEDSHORT-2.80%COMFORTDELGRO CORPORATION LTD
Seat vacanted by Halimah need to be filled by election - Constitution Act Article 49
13-8-2017 8:10 AM
sgbuffett Online
Hall of Fame

12-8-2017 11:51 PMMiniMax wrote  Filling of vacancies

49.—(1) Whenever the seat of a Member, not being a non-constituency Member, has become vacant for any reason other than a dissolution of Parliament, the vacancy SHALL BE FILLED BY ELECTION in the manner provided by or under any law relating to Parliamentary elections for the time being in force.

I think the loop hole is PM can decide on the timing so he can take his own sweet time and fill ithe in the next elections

I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I will do my utmost to keep them alive.
Against tyrants and adversity, I will strive.
Together, a better future, we will realise......
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
13-8-2017 8:15 AM
EXBB Offline
Hall of Fame

13-8-2017 8:10 AMsgbuffett wrote  I think the loop hole is PM can decide on the timing so he can take his own sweet time and fill ithe in the next elections

Okok...time to buy breakfast n feed your mum..faster go

[Image: 2dtrb6v.jpg]
[Image: 20r9tll.jpg]
13-8-2017 8:24 AM
sukhoi35 Online
Senior Sheep

If its a single seat, then, it will be strictly reserved for a Malay MP..

The Singapore authority is causing so much unnecessary problem for the people of Singapore just to keep themselves in power..

We have a bunch of idiots
(This post was last modified: 13-8-2017 8:25 AM by sukhoi35.)
13-8-2017 8:35 AM
walaneh Online
Hall of Fame

12-8-2017 11:51 PMMiniMax wrote  Filling of vacancies

49.—(1) Whenever the seat of a Member, not being a non-constituency Member, has become vacant for any reason other than a dissolution of Parliament, the vacancy SHALL BE FILLED BY ELECTION in the manner provided by or under any law relating to Parliamentary elections for the time being in force.

12-8-2017 11:53 PMMiniMax wrote  PAP cannot appoint a grassroots advisor to fill the vacancy.

The vacancy needs to filled by by election.

12-8-2017 11:54 PMMiniMax wrote  Though the PM has the discretion to determine the time to conduct the by election.

walaneh! shock
PM Lee says can means can lah! Worried
13-8-2017 9:27 AM
MiniMax Offline
Senior Sheep

While a previous clause saying that an election shall be called in three months had been deleted in 1965, the Appeals Court said: "The absence of the time-limit clause cannot lead to the conclusion that the Prime Minister is completely free to do as he pleases, even to the extent of delaying indefinitely the calling of a by-election or even declaring that he will not fill the casual vacancy."

On the other hand, the court agreed with the AGC that there is "no pre-determined time frame" for the PM to call a by-election but noted that a vacancy left unfilled for "an unnecessarily prolonged period" raises the serious risk of disenfranchising constituents. "He (the PM) must do so within a reasonable time and in that regard, the Prime Minister is entitled to take into account all relevant circumstances and only in clear cases can there be judicial intervention," said the court
13-8-2017 9:35 AM
MiniMax Offline
Senior Sheep

13-8-2017 8:10 AMsgbuffett wrote  I think the loop hole is PM can decide on the timing so he can take his own sweet time and fill ithe in the next elections
The court of Appeal says that when there is clear case eg if it can be proven that PM takes own sweet time to call a by election to fill the vacancy or declare that he will not fill the vacancy by byelection before the next election, there can be judicial intervention from the court.
(This post was last modified: 13-8-2017 9:40 AM by MiniMax.)
13-8-2017 9:40 AM
Billionaire Online
Master Elite

13-8-2017 8:24 AMsukhoi35 wrote  If its a single seat, then, it will be strictly reserved for a Malay MP..

The Singapore authority is causing so much unnecessary problem for the people of Singapore just to keep themselves in power..

We have a bunch of idiots
Well, we have 70% strongly and happily supported and voted for the PAP to form the Singapore govt.

What can you do about it? Thinking
13-8-2017 9:46 AM
WhatDoYouThink Online
Hall of Fame

Act blur and stewpig like them and be happy loh
13-8-2017 9:56 AM
wendychan Online
justice will prevail

just change the law lor.....
mockery

http://slang.org/FOOK-meaning-definition
The most popular meaning of FOOK is: F uck

https://sg.iherb.com/specials/?rcode=YUF201
14-8-2017 7:54 AM
hfourhappy Offline
Guru

Actually we should have one.
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)