BrilliantOPENLONG$7.730KEPPEL CORPORATION LIMITED
supermonkeyCLOSEDSHORT-6.77%LIAN BENG GROUP LTD
supermonkeyCLOSEDSHORT-6.77%LIAN BENG GROUP LTD
Statue of Chinese god Guan Yu stokes tension in Indonesia
11-8-2017 8:25 PM
CHAOS Offline
Senior Sheep

[Image: guan-yu-chinese-god-war-chinese-mythology-60032230.jpg]

TUBAN, INDONESIA (Reuters) - Indonesia has urged officials to stand up to mob pressure after Muslim and nationalist protesters called for a 30-metre-tall (100-ft-) statue of a Chinese deity erected in a temple complex in an East Java town to be torn down.

The brightly-painted statue of Guan Yu, a former general who is worshipped by some Chinese, was inaugurated in July in a temple complex in the fishing town of Tuban and is claimed to be South-east Asia's tallest such representation of the deity.

The statue in Tuban, about 100 km (60 miles) west of the city of Surabaya, has been partially covered up after the protests, provoking both praise and ridicule on social media in the world's most populous Muslim-majority country....

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/statue-of-chinese-god-guan-yu-stokes-tension-in-indonesia?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&xtor=CS1-10#link_time=1502450384
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
11-8-2017 8:27 PM
Yanghua Offline
Senior Sheep

11-8-2017 8:25 PMCHAOS wrote  [Image: guan-yu-chinese-god-war-chinese-mythology-60032230.jpg]

TUBAN, INDONESIA (Reuters) - Indonesia has urged officials to stand up to mob pressure after Muslim and nationalist protesters called for a 30-metre-tall (100-ft-) statue of a Chinese deity erected in a temple complex in an East Java town to be torn down.

The brightly-painted statue of Guan Yu, a former general who is worshipped by some Chinese, was inaugurated in July in a temple complex in the fishing town of Tuban and is claimed to be South-east Asia's tallest such representation of the deity.

The statue in Tuban, about 100 km (60 miles) west of the city of Surabaya, has been partially covered up after the protests, provoking both praise and ridicule on social media in the world's most populous Muslim-majority country....

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/statue-of-chinese-god-guan-yu-stokes-tension-in-indonesia?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&xtor=CS1-10#link_time=1502450384
Sorry, here in Singapore, no way am I going to get on my knees and worship ex SAF Chief Winston Choo should he pass on earlier than me.

And no way am I going to get on my knees with a joss stick in my hand to worship Guan Yu. Period.
(This post was last modified: 11-8-2017 8:28 PM by Yanghua.)
11-8-2017 8:28 PM
niubee Online
Master Elite

11-8-2017 8:27 PMYanghua wrote  Sorry, here in Singapore, no way am I going to get on my knees and worship ex SAF Chief Winston Choo should he pass on earlier than me.

And no way am I going to get on my knees with a joss stick in my hand to worship Guan Yu. Period.

Noted
11-8-2017 8:31 PM
WhatDoYouThink Online
Hall of Fame

11-8-2017 8:27 PMYanghua wrote  Sorry, here in Singapore, no way am I going to get on my knees and worship ex SAF Chief Winston Choo should he pass on earlier than me.

可以敬而远之,但不要冒犯神明
11-8-2017 8:34 PM
paperhead Online
Senior Sheep

Guan Yu is worshipped by both police and underworld in Hong Kong and also has his own altar
He is worshipped not because he is a god but because of his unsurpassed spirit of righteous loyalty in Chinese legendary records
(This post was last modified: 11-8-2017 8:36 PM by paperhead.)
11-8-2017 8:35 PM
Alice Alicia Online
Elite

how can they build this in Indonesia?
even in Singapore i don't think emperor Lee will allow unless his own statue or halimah.
(This post was last modified: 11-8-2017 8:36 PM by Alice Alicia.)
11-8-2017 8:39 PM
walaneh Offline
Hall of Fame

11-8-2017 8:25 PMCHAOS wrote  [Image: guan-yu-chinese-god-war-chinese-mythology-60032230.jpg]

[quote='WhatDoYouThink' pid='2384226' dateline='1502454672']

可以敬而远之,但不要冒犯神明

哇兰内! shock
关公面前耍关刀啊! Worried
11-8-2017 8:52 PM
Yanghua Offline
Senior Sheep

11-8-2017 8:31 PMWhatDoYouThink wrote  可以敬而远之,但不要冒犯神明
In the first place, I don't even consider Guan Gong to be a god. Laughing

I will never worship anything, any creature, be it a human, a bird, a tiger, an elephant...whatever, which was created by God. Laughing

Some people may call me "dishonourable" and most unfilial, but I don't even worship my own ancestors including my deceased parents. I don't believe in Qing Ming and the Seventh Month and all that.

And if I won't even worship my own ancestors, I see no reason why I should worship somebody else's ancestor like Guan Gong (or Mao Tse Tung for that matter). Laughing
11-8-2017 8:54 PM
bw2013 Offline
Elite

I have read about this Guan Yu, ally of LiuBei from romance of the 3 kingdoms.
11-8-2017 9:00 PM
WhatDoYouThink Online
Hall of Fame

11-8-2017 8:52 PMYanghua wrote  In the first place, I don't even consider Guan Gong to be a god. Laughing

I will never worship anything, any creature, be it a human, a bird, a tiger, an elephant...whatever, which was created by God. Laughing

Some people may call me "dishonourable" and most unfilial, but I don't even worship my own ancestors including my deceased parents. I don't believe in Qing Ming and the Seventh Month and all that.

And if I won't even worship my own ancestors, I see no reason why I should worship somebody else's ancestor like Guan Gong (or Mao Tse Tung for that matter). Laughing

You dun worship your ancestors but there is no need to ridicule them. 举头三尺有神明 一切尽在不言中
(This post was last modified: 11-8-2017 9:04 PM by WhatDoYouThink.)
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)