Latest Trades
ToaPayohOPENLONG$3.760SINGTEL
ToaPayohOPENLONG$0.570YOMA STRATEGIC HOLDINGS LTD
ToaPayohOPENLONG$0.550KEPPEL INFRA TRUST WEF 2015
Statue of Chinese god Guan Yu stokes tension in Indonesia
13-8-2017 8:58 AM
efreet Offline
Elite

13-8-2017 7:18 AMAvatar wrote  Just thinking who invented languages and writings?
Was it god or man?

answer neither.

possibly aliens with far superior technology at that time

Be Happy, Make Friends, Broaden Horizons and Make Money!
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
13-8-2017 9:02 AM
Elite

13-8-2017 8:58 AMefreet wrote  answer neither.

possibly aliens with far superior technology at that time

Just thinking again. Will there be any god if there is no writing and languages?
13-8-2017 9:25 AM
Yanghua Online
Senior Sheep

13-8-2017 12:07 AM.(0)-(0) wrote  What I find incomprehensible is one who will not pay respect to a deceased who gave him a life. But will worship a dead stranger from the other side of the world based on a book written by many men.
I noticed that you used diferent words viz "pay respects" and "worship".Laughing

And you used the correct words except that when you used "worship" with reference to that "dead stranger", you assumed that He is dead. According to the Bible, He rose from the dead and ascended into heaven. Amen. party

If you say you respect Guan Yu because he served Liu Bei, and you are with Liu Bei for his treachery towards the Han Emperor, I cannot argue with that.

But if you worship him, then all I can say is that it is permitted in Singapore, but I would not do that. Laughing

You also wrote about your parents giving you life...and your grandparents giving them life, and your great grandparents giving your grandparents life...but if you go up the genealogy, life originated from the Giver of Life.

Quote:
New International Version

Genesis 1
26Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

27So God created mankind in his own image,in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

PS: We are to honour our parents. It's written clearly in the Ten Commandments, so do not say that Christians do not respect their parents who brought them to this world. If our parents respect their parents, who are our grandparents, and our grandparents also respect their parents who are our great-grandparents, then we should know where we stand in the hierarchy of things. But respect does not have to become worship.
13-8-2017 9:32 AM
Honestboy Offline
Hall of Fame

13-8-2017 9:25 AMYanghua wrote  I noticed that you used diferent words viz "pay respects" and "worship".Laughing

And you used the correct words except that when you used "worship" with reference to that "dead stranger", you assumed that He is dead. According to the Bible, He rose from the dead and ascended into heaven. Amen. party

If you say you respect Guan Yu because he served Liu Bei, and you are with Liu Bei for his treachery towards the Han Emperor, I cannot argue with that.

But if you worship him, then all I can say is that it is permitted in Singapore, but I would not do that. Laughing

You also wrote about your parents giving you life...and your grandparents giving them life, and your great grandparents giving your grandparents life...but if you go up the genealogy, life originated from the Giver of Life.

PS: We are to honour our parents. It's written clearly in the Ten Commandments, so do not say that Christians do not respect their parents who brought them to this world. If our parents respect their parents, who are our grandparents, and our grandparents also respect their parents who are our great-grandparents, then we should know where we stand in the hierarchy of things. But respect does not have to become worship.

Which carpenter written the 10 commandments? I will write you 11 so you follow me next time. I will give you a more VIP seat in Heaven.
13-8-2017 9:33 AM
Yanghua Online
Senior Sheep

13-8-2017 7:18 AMAvatar wrote  Just thinking who invented languages and writings?
Was it god or man?
New International Version
Genesis 11

The Tower of Babel

1Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2As people moved eastward, they found a plain in Shinarb and settled there.

3They said to each other, “Come, let’s make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.”

5But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. 6The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

13-8-2017 9:35 AM
Yanghua Online
Senior Sheep

13-8-2017 9:32 AMHonestboy wrote  Which carpenter written the 10 commandments? I will write you 11 so you follow me next time. I will give you a more VIP seat in Heaven.
The Ten Commandments were given to Moses by God. Long before Jesus came to this world...party
13-8-2017 9:39 AM
Elite

13-8-2017 9:33 AMYanghua wrote  New International Version
Genesis 11

The Tower of Babel

1Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2As people moved eastward, they found a plain in Shinarb and settled there.

3They said to each other, “Come, let’s make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.”

5But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. 6The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

Too cheem to understand. Can explain in simple layman language?
13-8-2017 9:58 AM
Honestboy Offline
Hall of Fame

13-8-2017 9:35 AMYanghua wrote  The Ten Commandments were given to Moses by God. Long before Jesus came to this world...party

Where is the photo? Limpeh didn't give to Moses 5
13-8-2017 10:23 AM
Yanghua Online
Senior Sheep

12-8-2017 10:04 PMalleggsinonebasket wrote  Religion was created mostly for good. To bring hope, peace and love to all who believe. Man also use religion to bring evil to the world such as the extremist who bring violence, hatred and war.

It was created to influence people towards the outcome it's creator wanted.

God said this. Buddha said that.....
Well said.

Religion is a result of man's search for the absolute truth. It was not exactly created but evolved as man pondered about his own existence, with his powerful mind that can think in abstract terms. It is man's attempt to reach up to God, by whatever Name they may call him, while Christianity is God reaching out to man, calling him to return to the fold.

Indeed, religion including Christianity had been used to control people, and is a very powerful motivator that can even get people to slaughter others in the name of what to them is a very noble cause. ISIS is a good example.

Christianity is the only religion, if you have to call it one, that is created by God. To cause a certain outcome, as you said? If you ask any Christian, his answer would be "yes", and that outcome is that you may have eternal life. A&E were given a choice, to eat the fruit and the consequence was death, but they chose to listen to the Devil and ate it. People say God is very cruel, even sadistic, to send people to hell. No, He did not. Our ggggggggggggggggggreat grandparents A&E chose death. God is offering to us salvation through the substitutionary death of Jesus. God is not sadistic; He is merciful.

12-8-2017 10:04 PMalleggsinonebasket wrote  Actually, in my opinion, it was a man who said it. But he could not say directly to the others becos they would not listen to him.

So instead, he use God or Buddha to say it for him.

When someone tells me God said this.....it's absolute and no rational argument can stand against it. It's the end of any argument I have with this person.
True, all religious books were written by men, in the language of their time and place where they lived.

I believe that Gautama Siddharta did say what he is said to have said ie the 4 NT and 8 FP. But Buddhism as it is being practised by many Chinese has been sinicised with the infusion of Taoist and Confucian teachings, that it no longer is what it was taught in India.

De-tripled from Taoism and Confucianism, Buddhist philosophy actually makes a lot of sense, that explains why we suffer, and how we may escape from it, except that the part "How to escape from it" is easier said than done. On its own, Buddhism is not even a religion, but a philosophy.

Right speech is one of the 8 FP. Is calling someone a beast or worse than a dog/pig right speech? A man of Buddhism would never say such a thing about someone, even if he does not want to become a Buddhist.

Only Christianity claims that it is inspired by God. No other religion says that.

12-8-2017 10:04 PMalleggsinonebasket wrote  To me in a intolerant society, it's dangerous to question any religious practices . Some makes no sense in modern times. No matter how stupid I think it is. Religious freaks will emerge. Charge people for sedition or provoking racial disharmony. So we learn to keep our mouth shut. Really tight. And our society never improves. it's sad. But it's a choice. Keep the peace rather than suffer the consequences
I agree...which is why you will not see me going ballistic or "reacting" angrily to posts in which Christianity had been mocked, with posts that even uploaded Jesus with a middle finger.

And to those who called me a beast because I do not WORSHIP Guan Yu or ancestors, or who called me 猪狗不如, I'd say to them : I forgive you because you know not what you said.

And they called me names not because I insulted their religion, but because I don't worship ancestors. They could find no fault, none at all, with what I wrote. Only that I don't believe in Guan Yu - I believe he is a real person, an army general, but not a god, and people went ballistic. 97party

12-8-2017 10:04 PMalleggsinonebasket wrote  In the end, to a atheist, we are no more than a bunch of monkeys trying all means and ways to gain power, to gain control of one another. and that includes the govt
An atheist typically enjoys attacking Christianity and only Christianity. No...I don't mean the ordinary atheist like those who call themselves free thinkers, for whom it's anything goes. If money can make them happy, they wouldn't mind worshipping the money god, try try and see how.... Laughing

It's the militant atheists whom I am referring to. You were in A1 before and you must have read the religion threads. Some of the best debates took place there. But not all the forummers there could discuss this topic calmly. Some forummers who professed to be Christians became vitriolic and vindictive. Not all though. Christians like simmtann and smickno were well known for being calm and steady. Laughing
(This post was last modified: 13-8-2017 10:39 AM by Yanghua.)
13-8-2017 10:26 AM
greenlight Offline
Elite

13-8-2017 9:35 AMYanghua wrote  The Ten Commandments were given to Moses by God. Long before Jesus came to this world...party

Actually very funny. Moses born year people got recorded, but Jesus born year or dynasty , kingdom whatever nobody knows.
User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)