Latest Trades
ToaPayohOPENLONG$3.760SINGTEL
ToaPayohOPENLONG$0.570YOMA STRATEGIC HOLDINGS LTD
ToaPayohOPENLONG$0.550KEPPEL INFRA TRUST WEF 2015
Statue of Chinese god Guan Yu stokes tension in Indonesia
Today 6:17 AM
Yanghua Online
Senior Sheep

Today 12:44 AMflexway wrote  There is no question that you misled yourself and were imagining strawmen attacking you. Not me. Should I apologize because you have a simple mind.

If GG is you trying to make believe you are god, it is not only a fairy tale but that you are actually delusional. Schizo maybe.
I'd suggest you not only suspend posting to avoid embarassing yourself further, but you should also learn the meaning of "strawman" and how it is being used.

When people say you are "building a strawman into your arguments", it is never used to mean that you are using them to attack them. LOL! LaughingpartyLaughingparty
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Today 6:41 AM
flexway Offline
Elite

Today 6:17 AMYanghua wrote  I'd suggest you not only suspend posting to avoid embarassing yourself further, but you should also learn the meaning of "strawman" and how it is being used.

When people say you are "building a strawman into your arguments", it is never used to mean that you are using them to attack them. LOL! LaughingpartyLaughingparty

You do have a simple mind and confirmed it here as not having just the slightest ability to decipher words spoken figuratively.

Every thing must be broken down, itemised, numbered and tabulated in a series of simple steps so that you are able to grasp it. I had done it once upthread to explain to you why it is your onus to debunk the virtues of Guan Yu. I am not prepared to do it here to explain how figurative speech or writing is used. Here the responsibility to educate yourself is on you.

And you should not try to win at all cost. I told you this is not a contest. Grasping at straws just to prove a point is futile and shows you up for nothing but a sole loser.
Today 7:07 AM
flexway Offline
Elite

@YH - Good morning. The day is bright and I think going to be sunny. Don't tear your hair out. Go out for some fresh air and sunshine. This is just a faceless, anonymous forum for you and I. Don't take it to heart.
Today 7:09 AM
Yanghua Online
Senior Sheep

Yesterday 11:46 PMSIMTAN wrote  You seem amazed that I could watch my ‘wayward’ brother with indifference. I’m surprised that you, an experienced and long-time forummer, have not scratched the surface and known that people hate advice. Let me put you wise to the reason for my apathetic attitude and perhaps that of other non-confrontational posters as well.

In the past, I would on occasion point out the minor infractions of my brethren out of brotherly concern. Alas, all I got in return for my kind counsel were snide remarks. They had rejected my counsel. My attempts at counselling errant brethren had led to a deterioration in our relations. From thenceforth, their replies to my inputs were laced with sarcasm.

Lesson learned: Keep my own counsel, and keep my nose out of other people’s affairs. By adopting a policy of non-interference, I could breathe easily without somebody breathing down my neck!

Does it mean that after saving my own hide, I should do nothing when a brother crosses the line? Of course not! For I’ll make intercessions for him in my devotional time but that’s the most I’ll do. So you see I’m not completely apathetic.

As a non-believer you need not adopt my point of view. You may do as you please ... getting your charge out of imposing your views on others and making them feel they are not up to scratch. That seems to be a favourite pastime of many forummers. Forummers are independent thinkers who are guided by their own opinions about what is right, and they hate advice.
The long and short of what you wrote is that forummers are human, and humans have this thing called "ego". Some men have bigger egos than others. When they come to a forum, they assume that a lot of people are reading what they are writing and are wow-ed.Laughing

They get very upset when you correct them because corrections, when these are correct, puncture their ego. They may not themselves know why they react in a hostile manner to good counsel i.e that it is because of their ego. They just don't like being corrected and feel as if they had been humiliated at a public forum, so they become hostile towards you. Yet, they cannot rebut you because you are right. But they also cannot concede defeat because of their ego, so they build a strawman and demolish it, and then claim victory, and celebrate it with a song and dance. Rolling on the flor laughing

But if your correction is flawed, then they will launch an attack on you - with no mercy - pointing out where your correction is flawed to show the whole wide world that theyarerightyouarewrong, and that theyaresmartyouaresimpleminded. Rolling on the flor laughing

A man's ego is one of the things which is keeping him away from God.

Pride. Ego.

Children can be naughty, most are, but when they are being corrected, you don't see a retaliation coming from them arising from their ego. At a certain age when children transition to being adults, the ego starts to appear. I do not know if the ego had been latent at birth and would rear its ugly head later in life, or if it is learned. But unless we are like children, and come to God like a child, I am not sure if a man with a huge ego can ever see the Kingdom of God. Still, even if a man can divorce his ego, he needs to follow not the wrong god who has many names, one of which is Lucifer and another is the one which is making Lucifer very happy. 你懂的 party Laughing
Today 7:21 AM
flexway Offline
Elite

Today 7:09 AMYanghua wrote  Snip.....

But they also cannot concede defeat because of their ego, so they build a strawman and demolish it, and then claim victory, and celebrate it with a song and dance. Rolling on the flor laughing

But if your correction is flawed, then they will launch an attack on you - with no mercy - pointing out where your correction is flawed to show the whole wide world that theyarerightyouarewrong, and that theyaresmartyouaresimpleminded. Rolling on the flor laughing

A man's ego is one of the things which is keeping him away from God.

Pride. Ego.

This could very well be a confession. Yours.

And I bring you to another tactic losers employ, finding a decoy and using a sympathetic shoulder to cry on. They not only do not have any substance left in them to face their interlocutor directly but obliquely attack him while crying. This is the tactic of the loser.

There is an easier way. If you can't stand the heat- just get out of the kitchen.
Today 4:10 PM
AhMoan Offline
Senior Sheep

Yesterday 11:46 PMSIMTAN wrote  You seem amazed that I could watch my ‘wayward’ brother with indifference. I’m surprised that you, an experienced and long-time forummer, have not scratched the surface and known that people hate advice. Let me put you wise to the reason for my apathetic attitude and perhaps that of other non-confrontational posters as well.

In the past, I would on occasion point out the minor infractions of my brethren out of brotherly concern. Alas, all I got in return for my kind counsel were snide remarks. They had rejected my counsel. My attempts at counselling errant brethren had led to a deterioration in our relations. From thenceforth, their replies to my inputs were laced with sarcasm.

Lesson learned: Keep my own counsel, and keep my nose out of other people’s affairs. By adopting a policy of non-interference, I could breathe easily without somebody breathing down my neck!

Does it mean that after saving my own hide, I should do nothing when a brother crosses the line? Of course not! For I’ll make intercessions for him in my devotional time but that’s the most I’ll do. So you see I’m not completely apathetic.

As a non-believer you need not adopt my point of view. You may do as you please ... getting your charge out of imposing your views on others and making them feel they are not up to scratch. That seems to be a favourite pastime of many forummers. Forummers are independent thinkers who are guided by their own opinions about what is right, and they hate advice.

From all you've said, I gathered it is a thankless task being your brother's keeper. I now understood what you meant when you said suffering is a christian reality and you have my sympathy.
User(s) browsing this thread: 6 Guest(s)