“Are you Chinese?” What is your answer?
10-10-2019 2:41 AM
The Godfather said:
Cheena is Cheena, Chink is Chink. Please don't combine both of them together when they are not the same. If Cheena is as offensive as what you claimed, then explain this below, you Cheena Moron. sotw

cheena /chee-nə, ˈtʃiːnə/ a. [Mal. china, cina Chinese] Also cina. derog. Overly Chinese or oriental.
1991 Valerie Tan The Straits Times (Section 3), 9 August, 19 Cheena – very Chinese in outlook. 2000 Liew Kai Khiun The Straits Times (Life!), 4 February, 5 It certainly looks foolish to queue up for some ‘cina’-looking soft toy in a neighbourhood fast food outlet. 2000 Clarissa Oon The Straits Times (Life!), 14 February, 9 Stuck in a photo studio making cheena poses. 2000 Yeow Kai Chai The Sunday Times (Sunday Plus), 2 July, 5 He has been accused of making Fann Wong look like a cheena ah lian. 2003 Suzanne Sng (quoting Hana Ibrahim) The Sunday Times (LifeStyle), 18 January, L10 The trendy wares she touts attract mostly young Chinese women looking for something stylish and not overtly ‘cheena’. Pointing to a chinoiserie handbag, Ms Hana says: ‘It’s not just the ‘cheena’ items like these which are selling well.’ 2007 Janet Huang The Sunday Times (from Straits Times Interactive), 29 April. Love of Chinese seen as ‘cheena’ [title] .. [A]nyone showing earnestness in learning Chinese is likely to be perceived as ‘cheena’ (slang for conservatively Chinese). .. If speaking Chinese well means one is perceived as ‘cheena’, nothing needs to be said for even having a passion for learning Chinese.

Don't you ever fu.cking disgrace us in front of them White Folks and rest of the world by claiming Chinese were descended from imaginary fire breathing reptiles. sotw

Treeswing

What is disgraceful to identify with the GREAT MIGHTY CHINESE DRAGON?

You are so filled with inferiority complex and insecurity that you choose not to identify with this ancestral heritage that identifies the Chinese race

Like I said, dun try to push us into the smelly hole you dug for your own baboon ape ancestry

We are, I repeat, DESCENDANTS OF THE GREAT MIGHTY CHINESE DRAGON and proud of it

You can keep on disgracing yourself by telling everyone you are of baboon ape descent, for all we care

DUMBO STUKA!!!
Treeswing Treeswing Treeswing
Quote
Read this, you DF Stuka!!!
Get a grip of yourself, B.R. ghosts are still awaiting for you to join them. Hurry hurry!!

https://mothership.sg/2018/05/shina-cheena-racial-slur/

Origins of the word “Chee-na”
“Chee-na” (支那) is an archaic way of referring to China.

Advertisement


The word first appeared in the Buddhist scriptures of the Tang dynasty in the 6th century, according to one source.

It is widely believed to be the phonetic translation of the ancient Sanskrit word “cina”.

While some believe that it originated from the English word “China”, there is no conclusive evidence to support that.

Word used neutrally by both Chinese and Japanese
The word was used neutrally by both Chinese and Japanese and had no derogatory meaning for much of its history.

It, along with Buddhism, spread to Japan from China during the Tang dynasty.

Many Chinese nationalists and reformers in the final years of Qing rule, such as Sun Yat-sen, wanting to differentiate between the new nation and the Qing dynasty, also used it.

Some academics even claim that it does not refer to any particular country, but is broadly used to refer to the “land of the east”.

Advertisement


How did it become a racial slur?
Subsequently, Imperial Japan used the term “Shina” (シナ) to refer to China during the 1894-95 Sino-Japanese War, and “Shina-jin” (シナ人) to refer to the Chinese.

The word was used as an insult, not only implying that the Chinese people are a sub-class and inherently inferior to the Japanese, but also implying that China was not worthy enough to be recognised as a sovereign state.

Thus, the implications of the word helped justify Japan’s wartime aggression.

It was then that “Chee-na” became associated with Japanese wartime aggression, and a reminder of the suffering endured by the Chinese during the occupation.

It turned an originally neutral term to a deeply derogatory racial slur targeted at Chinese people.

In 1946, at the formal request of the Kuomintang (KMT) government, the Japanese government banned the term in official documents and in all public occasions.

Advertisement


A parallel to another derogatory term
There is some parallel between “Chee-na” and another English term widely-considered to be offensive today: Nigger.

The transformation of the word “Shina” from a neutral term to something offensive and a trigger word has been compared to “nigger” — a racial slur widely regarded as derogatory towards people of African descent.

“Nigger” originated from the Latin adjective “niger”. It was a neutral term frequently seen in 19th century literature.

It was not until the 20th century that it became a racial slur in the mainstream.

Advertisement


Controversy over the use of the word in modern times
The “Chee-na” word came under the spotlight in 2016, when two young politicians from Hong Kong, China, used it during their oath-taking.

Sixtus Leung and Yao Wai-ching, in a bid to show their refusal to submit to Beijing, said “Chee-na” instead of “China”, with the latter saying “People’s Ref*cking of Chee-na”.

However, they ended up offending many mainland Chinese, and the incident resulted in a huge controversy, with other pro-democracy Hong Kongers disapproving of the use of the term.

So, considering its historical origins, is Shina still a derogatory term?
While some argue that the term is not derogatory at all due to its neutral historical origins, many consider it a derogatory term that is inappropriate and offensive to the ethnic Chinese.

This is simply because Chinese people today consider it to be so, just as people of African descent consider the word “nigger” to be highly offensive.

The purpose of language, at its very core, is to communicate with others.

If the meaning of a word has changed over the years, so does the intention of using it and the context of doing so matters.

So, if an ethnic group has reservations about the term, with some considering it offensive and particularly hurtful, then the use of the term is questionable, despite its neutral origins.
Treeswing Treeswing Treeswing
[+] 1 user Likes Sentinel's post
Quote
Read your own post again, you Cheena Moron dumbfuck!!! sotw

Treeswing

10-10-2019 2:56 AM
Sentinel said:
Read this, you DF Stuka!!!
Get a grip of yourself, B.R. ghosts are still awaiting for you to join them. Hurry hurry!!

https://mothership.sg/2018/05/shina-cheena-racial-slur/

Origins of the word “Chee-na”
“Chee-na” (支那) is an archaic way of referring to China.

Advertisement


The word first appeared in the Buddhist scriptures of the Tang dynasty in the 6th century, according to one source.

It is widely believed to be the phonetic translation of the ancient Sanskrit word “cina”.

While some believe that it originated from the English word “China”, there is no conclusive evidence to support that.

Word used neutrally by both Chinese and Japanese
The word was used neutrally by both Chinese and Japanese and had no derogatory meaning for much of its history
.

It, along with Buddhism, spread to Japan from China during the Tang dynasty.

Many Chinese nationalists and reformers in the final years of Qing rule, such as Sun Yat-sen, wanting to differentiate between the new nation and the Qing dynasty, also used it.

Some academics even claim that it does not refer to any particular country, but is broadly used to refer to the “land of the east”.

Advertisement


How did it become a racial slur?
Subsequently, Imperial Japan used the term “Shina” (シナ) to refer to China during the 1894-95 Sino-Japanese War, and “Shina-jin” (シナ人) to refer to the Chinese.

The word was used as an insult, not only implying that the Chinese people are a sub-class and inherently inferior to the Japanese, but also implying that China was not worthy enough to be recognised as a sovereign state.

Thus, the implications of the word helped justify Japan’s wartime aggression.

It was then that “Chee-na” became associated with Japanese wartime aggression, and a reminder of the suffering endured by the Chinese during the occupation.

It turned an originally neutral term to a deeply derogatory racial slur targeted at Chinese people.

In 1946, at the formal request of the Kuomintang (KMT) government, the Japanese government banned the term in official documents and in all public occasions.

Advertisement


A parallel to another derogatory term
There is some parallel between “Chee-na” and another English term widely-considered to be offensive today: Nigger.

The transformation of the word “Shina” from a neutral term to something offensive and a trigger word has been compared to “nigger” — a racial slur widely regarded as derogatory towards people of African descent.

“Nigger” originated from the Latin adjective “niger”. It was a neutral term frequently seen in 19th century literature.

It was not until the 20th century that it became a racial slur in the mainstream.

Advertisement


Controversy over the use of the word in modern times
The “Chee-na” word came under the spotlight in 2016, when two young politicians from Hong Kong, China, used it during their oath-taking.

Sixtus Leung and Yao Wai-ching, in a bid to show their refusal to submit to Beijing, said “Chee-na” instead of “China”, with the latter saying “People’s Ref*cking of Chee-na”.

However, they ended up offending many mainland Chinese, and the incident resulted in a huge controversy, with other pro-democracy Hong Kongers disapproving of the use of the term.

So, considering its historical origins, is Shina still a derogatory term?
While some argue that the term is not derogatory at all due to its neutral historical origins, many consider it a derogatory term that is inappropriate and offensive to the ethnic Chinese.

This is simply because Chinese people today consider it to be so, just as people of African descent consider the word “nigger” to be highly offensive.

The purpose of language, at its very core, is to communicate with others.

If the meaning of a word has changed over the years, so does the intention of using it and the context of doing so matters.

So, if an ethnic group has reservations about the term, with some considering it offensive and particularly hurtful, then the use of the term is questionable, despite its neutral origins.
PRC Cheena Commie Hanjians (lvlrsSTI, Polanski (orlando), WhatDoYouThink, CHAOS, amata, Sentinel (Stuka76), niubee, Sand)

[Image: UtHI8Pc.jpg][Image: 2VE6o2d]
Quote
You are really devoid of any cogent arguments
All of our arguments have no legs to stand on

No wonder you were kicked out of law school
You really dun cut it Stuka rat

You are a gutter rat Stuka

Beneath the feet of humankind

The faster this world is rid of your defective genes the better

5 5
Treeswing Treeswing Treeswing
Quote
10-10-2019 2:59 AM
The Godfather said:
Read your own post again, you Cheena Moron dumbfuck!!! sotw

Treeswing

Your abject stupidity is truly mind blowing

Read to the end, you lazy farking stupiak DF!!!
Treeswing Treeswing Treeswing
Quote
Your utter stupidity is beyond comprehension. Only people with massive inferiority complexes like you and your fellow Cheena Commies will chose to ignore the fact that it is derogatory only in your Cheena eyes. How come our tightly controlled mainstream news media allowed its' liberal use in all their publications but not Chink, you fu.cking Retard?!?!?! sotw

Treeswing

10-10-2019 3:03 AM
Sentinel said:
Your abject stupidity is truly mind blowing

Read to the end, you lazy farking stupiak DF!!!
PRC Cheena Commie Hanjians (lvlrsSTI, Polanski (orlando), WhatDoYouThink, CHAOS, amata, Sentinel (Stuka76), niubee, Sand)

[Image: UtHI8Pc.jpg][Image: 2VE6o2d]
Quote
10-10-2019 3:07 AM
The Godfather said:
Your utter stupidity is beyond comprehension. Only people with massive inferiority complexes like you and your fellow Cheena Commies will chose to ignore the fact that it is derogatory only in your Cheena eyes. How come our tightly controlled mainstream news media allowed its' liberal use in all their publications but not Chink, you fu.cking Retard?!?!?! sotw

Treeswing

Obviously besides being stupiak, you're also lacking the frontal lobe
Can't you read Stuka Toad?

Now repeat after yourself this: I am stupiak beyond redemption
A thousand times, in that small corner

5 5
Treeswing Treeswing Treeswing
Quote
Don't sidetrack and answer the fu.cking question! If it is so derogatory as claimed by you and your fellow Cheena Commies Hanjians, then how come our tightly controlled mainstream news media allowed its' liberal use in all their publications but not Chink, you fu.cking Retard?!?!?! sotw

Treeswing

10-10-2019 3:49 AM
Sentinel said:
Obviously besides being stupiak, you're also lacking the frontal lobe
Can't you read Stuka Toad?

Now repeat after yourself this: I am stupiak beyond redemption
A thousand times, in that small corner

5 5
PRC Cheena Commie Hanjians (lvlrsSTI, Polanski (orlando), WhatDoYouThink, CHAOS, amata, Sentinel (Stuka76), niubee, Sand)

[Image: UtHI8Pc.jpg][Image: 2VE6o2d]
Quote
10-10-2019 3:51 AM
The Godfather said:
Don't sidetrack and answer the fu.cking question! If it is so derogatory as claimed by you and your fellow Cheena Commies Hanjians, then how come our tightly controlled mainstream news media allowed its' liberal use in all their publications but not Chink, you fu.cking Retard?!?!?! sotw

Treeswing

Your farking DF!! Why you so like to make your problem ours?
If you have a question and doubt that needs answer from your tightly controlled mainstream media, who do you ask?

Ask me???

Of course ask the media isn't it, you stupiak clown!!!

Now shooo......get out of my sight, DF!!!
Treeswing Treeswing Treeswing
Quote
The Singapore Mainstream News Media allowed its liberal use in their publications because they do not see it as derogatory. Since you are unwilling to explicitly challenge their opinion, then you should just openly accept their opinion and admit it is not derogatory.

Treeswing

10-10-2019 3:56 AM
Sentinel said:
Your farking DF!! Why you so like to make your problem ours?
If you have a question and doubt that needs answer from your tightly controlled mainstream media, who do you ask?

Ask me???

Of course ask the media isn't it, you stupiak clown!!!

Now shooo......get out of my sight, DF!!!
PRC Cheena Commie Hanjians (lvlrsSTI, Polanski (orlando), WhatDoYouThink, CHAOS, amata, Sentinel (Stuka76), niubee, Sand)

[Image: UtHI8Pc.jpg][Image: 2VE6o2d]
Quote
Users browsing: 1 Guest(s)


Forum Jump: