Forget The TraceTogether Data. Can We Trust The Government To Keep Their Word?
[Image: 978508.jpeg]

Whichever camp you’re in, it’s clear that this revelation undermines the extensive efforts to win public support for TraceTogether, and feeds into earlier anxieties that it could be supposedly abused as a hidden tracking device.

To be honest, even with this latest development, it’s probably not worth getting worked up about location  racking. TraceTogether works by detecting proximity to other devices, not location. Expert teardowns  of the token last year concluded that it did not have a GPS function and was “unlikely to be a useful tracking device” (though this was at least partially based on assurances that only MOH’s contact tracers would ever see the data)

And as Minister Tan’s comments revealed, the remit of the CPC means that law enforcement is already  empowered to access far more useful data, such as SafeEntry  records—which, by the way, were also meant to be ‘for Covid-19 purposes only’.

What the clarification does do is raise questions over how exactly the proximity data might become useful to the police, whether there is potential for it to be misused, and what sorts of offences are quote-unquote ‘serious’ enough to trigger the exception.

It invites incredulity as to how Minister Balakrishnan could have overlooked the CPC during his PR offensive for TraceTogether last year. And it encourages anxieties over the inconsistencies and back-pedalling in government communications.

These are all serious issues, but not the real source of public ire; nor is there any evidence that this was a  deliberate conspiracy to mislead the public. What this episode really  invites us to consider is a question of trust: whether the government can be relied on to keep its word, with no catch involved.

More at https://tinyurl.com/yyr9pqa2
The distrust is very worrying
14-1-2021 12:44 AM
Blackhawkdown said:
[Image: 978508.jpeg]

Whichever camp you’re in, it’s clear that this revelation undermines the extensive efforts to win public support for TraceTogether, and feeds into earlier anxieties that it could be supposedly abused as a hidden tracking device.

To be honest, even with this latest development, it’s probably not worth getting worked up about location  racking. TraceTogether works by detecting proximity to other devices, not location. Expert teardowns  of the token last year concluded that it did not have a GPS function and was “unlikely to be a useful tracking device” (though this was at least partially based on assurances that only MOH’s contact tracers would ever see the data)

And as Minister Tan’s comments revealed, the remit of the CPC means that law enforcement is already  empowered to access far more useful data, such as SafeEntry  records—which, by the way, were also meant to be ‘for Covid-19 purposes only’.

What the clarification does do is raise questions over how exactly the proximity data might become useful to the police, whether there is potential for it to be misused, and what sorts of offences are quote-unquote ‘serious’ enough to trigger the exception.

It invites incredulity as to how Minister Balakrishnan could have overlooked the CPC during his PR offensive for TraceTogether last year. And it encourages anxieties over the inconsistencies and back-pedalling in government communications.

These are all serious issues, but not the real source of public ire; nor is there any evidence that this was a  deliberate conspiracy to mislead the public. What this episode really  invites us to consider is a question of trust: whether the government can be relied on to keep its word, with no catch involved.

More at https://tinyurl.com/yyr9pqa2

walaneh! shock
Bro, I have already uninstalled the app liao lah! Worried
You haven't meh? Thinking
14-1-2021 7:06 AM
walaneh said:
walaneh! shock
Bro, I have already uninstalled the app liao lah! Worried
You haven't meh? Thinking

Will you go to jail? Surprised
Resistance is futile Happy Pbanned Schroder aka Yanghua is impersonating my avatar and signature 5 5
It's a mistake not to be fully upfront.
It to heavy questioning by WP to unlock these facts.

Only then they reveal.
I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I will do my utmost to keep them alive.
Against tyrants and adversity, I will strive.
Together, a better future, we will realise......
14-1-2021 7:30 AM
sgbuffett said:

Only then they reveal.

When is your jab coming? Big smile
Resistance is futile Happy Pbanned Schroder aka Yanghua is impersonating my avatar and signature 5 5
14-1-2021 7:30 AM
sgbuffett said:

Only then they reveal.
I am not too concern about this trace together issue which you think PAP had tricked you and not upfront as it does not harm my body directly. However, I am more worried about the vaccination with Pfizer as it involves my health directly if something goes wrong ...... Thinking

Another contentious issue of distrust cumin gE...
The white country selling thieves are serial liars ..... TT data small thing also wanna lie, big stuffs you think leh
PRC ktv* hostess once told me "台湾人无情, 香港人无义,新加坡人无稚" dance dance
If Minister Balakrishnan has stepped down to take responsibility of this 'oversight', the public might react differently.

As I always say in this forum, even if Balakrishnan had an 'oversight', why didn't the other ministries correct him immediately? This is the part that I cannot understand, or can be brush off by a simple 'oversight'.

Next time a foreign country attack Singapore, can the Minister of Defense say that it was an 'oversight' and army was not activated to defend the country?

The minister in position is there to made decision/be held responsible as a minister, not as an elected MP, or not as an individual.
Users browsing: 1 Guest(s)