Li Hongyi has founded a new unit within GovTech, with its own branding and style
#1
[Image: 813588.jpeg]

Li Hongyi has founded a new unit within GovTech, with its own branding and style

http://theindependent.sg/li-hongyi-has-f...and-style/

https://govinsider.asia/innovation/singa...parkingsg/

Founding Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew’s grandson and current Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s son Li Hongyi has founded a new unit within Singapore’s Government Technology Agency, with its own branding, website and style. GovTech is a statutory board of the Singapore government, under the Prime Minister’s Office.

The son of PM Lee Lee and Ho Ching, the CEO of Singapore sovereign wealth fund Temasek, Li Hongyi has been employed by GovTech for over six years now. He started out as a consultant and was promoted to the position of Deputy Director in January last year. Hongyi now serves as the director of a unit at the heart of GovTech he founded, called Open Government Products.

Speaking at the GovInsider Live summit at the United Nations Asia HQ last month, Li said that he founded the new unit as he believes the Government can learn much from how big tech companies innovate quickly. He added: “We know how to have good technology, and we know we have big problems.”

While Hongyi’s Open Government Products unit shares GovTech’s resources, manpower and ethos, it has its own website and branding. The unit, which works to build and deploy software products rapidly and scale smaller services quickly, has so far built services like ISOMER, FormSG and Parking.sg.

His team also functions very differently compared to other GovTech officers. Revealing that his team has adopted the culture of embracing failure that is prevalent in big tech companies, Hongyi said:

“Instead of treating [failures] like a big point of shame, we try to treat this in good faith – that all officers on the team are trying their best to build a good product. The idea is that you’re going to encounter problems, so you might as well try to learn from them the best you can.”

Li’s team members are also not required to produce lengthy reports or presentations – instead, team members spend just five minutes a week recording their achievements in bullet points.



Every January, team members also pause all non-urgent work and participate in a hackathon. Hongyi said that the hackathon helps his team to “generate a lot of ideas that you would never have found if you just waited for instructions from what is traditionally senior leadership.”

He also believes that it is important to include as many team members in the creative process as possible. Li said: “A leader has to support and facilitate as many of the good people you hire as possible to spend time thinking about the problem, so you maximise the amount of creative brain power.”

While some netizens responding to Hongyi’s remarks praised his approach and inventiveness, others pointed out that Hongyi’s products may not have been developed if his father was not his bosses’ superior:
Quote
#2
Good contribution to the country.

Very unlike his cousins.
[+] 2 users Like maipenrai's post
Quote
#3
Aiyah, he got all the G machinery at his disposal, so anybody also can do what he has done lah. Nothing great.
[+] 3 users Like klat's post
Quote
#4
He wrote long winded email cc to all his army uncles to complain his superior. This type of person is crap.
[+] 3 users Like Patriot Missile's post
Quote
#5
3-12-2019 4:56 PM
maipenrai said:
Good contribution to the country.

Very unlike his cousins.

3-12-2019 4:58 PM
klat said:
Aiyah, he got all the G machinery at his disposal, so anybody also can do what he has done lah. Nothing great.

You are right, he got the full govt machinery to rely on, that will give him an added advantage. But isn't this considered as neptosim..? Thinking Thinking
[+] 3 users Like debono's post
Quote
#6
its good to hv rich and powerful parents. you dun think so meh?
[+] 5 users Like WhatDoYouThink's post
Quote
#7
Can he be the first govt person to take his govt unit for IPO on SGX ?

Temasek can be his sponsor ?
Quote
#8
3-12-2019 5:05 PM
WhatDoYouThink said:
its good to hv rich and powerful parents. you dun think so meh?

WhatDoYouThink.......? Thinking Thinking
Quote
#9
3-12-2019 4:49 PM
forum456 said:
[Image: 813588.jpeg]

Li Hongyi has founded a new unit within GovTech, with its own branding and style

http://theindependent.sg/li-hongyi-has-f...and-style/

https://govinsider.asia/innovation/singa...parkingsg/

Founding Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew’s grandson and current Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s son Li Hongyi has founded a new unit within Singapore’s Government Technology Agency, with its own branding, website and style. GovTech is a statutory board of the Singapore government, under the Prime Minister’s Office.

The son of PM Lee Lee and Ho Ching, the CEO of Singapore sovereign wealth fund Temasek, Li Hongyi has been employed by GovTech for over six years now. He started out as a consultant and was promoted to the position of Deputy Director in January last year. Hongyi now serves as the director of a unit at the heart of GovTech he founded, called Open Government Products.

Speaking at the GovInsider Live summit at the United Nations Asia HQ last month, Li said that he founded the new unit as he believes the Government can learn much from how big tech companies innovate quickly. He added: “We know how to have good technology, and we know we have big problems.”

While Hongyi’s Open Government Products unit shares GovTech’s resources, manpower and ethos, it has its own website and branding. The unit, which works to build and deploy software products rapidly and scale smaller services quickly, has so far built services like ISOMER, FormSG and Parking.sg.

His team also functions very differently compared to other GovTech officers. Revealing that his team has adopted the culture of embracing failure that is prevalent in big tech companies, Hongyi said:

“Instead of treating [failures] like a big point of shame, we try to treat this in good faith – that all officers on the team are trying their best to build a good product. The idea is that you’re going to encounter problems, so you might as well try to learn from them the best you can.”

Li’s team members are also not required to produce lengthy reports or presentations – instead, team members spend just five minutes a week recording their achievements in bullet points.



Every January, team members also pause all non-urgent work and participate in a hackathon. Hongyi said that the hackathon helps his team to “generate a lot of ideas that you would never have found if you just waited for instructions from what is traditionally senior leadership.”

He also believes that it is important to include as many team members in the creative process as possible. Li said: “A leader has to support and facilitate as many of the good people you hire as possible to spend time thinking about the problem, so you maximise the amount of creative brain power.”

While some netizens responding to Hongyi’s remarks praised his approach and inventiveness, others pointed out that Hongyi’s products may not have been developed if his father was not his bosses’ superior:

walaneh! Big Grin
Bro, future Prime Minister lah! thumbs upWinking
Steady poonpeepee lah! 245
Quote
#10
3-12-2019 4:49 PM
forum456 said:
[Image: 813588.jpeg]

Li Hongyi has founded a new unit within GovTech, with its own branding and style

http://theindependent.sg/li-hongyi-has-f...and-style/

https://govinsider.asia/innovation/singa...parkingsg/

Founding Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew’s grandson and current Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s son Li Hongyi has founded a new unit within Singapore’s Government Technology Agency, with its own branding, website and style. GovTech is a statutory board of the Singapore government, under the Prime Minister’s Office.

The son of PM Lee Lee and Ho Ching, the CEO of Singapore sovereign wealth fund Temasek, Li Hongyi has been employed by GovTech for over six years now. He started out as a consultant and was promoted to the position of Deputy Director in January last year. Hongyi now serves as the director of a unit at the heart of GovTech he founded, called Open Government Products.

Speaking at the GovInsider Live summit at the United Nations Asia HQ last month, Li said that he founded the new unit as he believes the Government can learn much from how big tech companies innovate quickly. He added: “We know how to have good technology, and we know we have big problems.”

While Hongyi’s Open Government Products unit shares GovTech’s resources, manpower and ethos, it has its own website and branding. The unit, which works to build and deploy software products rapidly and scale smaller services quickly, has so far built services like ISOMER, FormSG and Parking.sg.

His team also functions very differently compared to other GovTech officers. Revealing that his team has adopted the culture of embracing failure that is prevalent in big tech companies, Hongyi said:

“Instead of treating [failures] like a big point of shame, we try to treat this in good faith – that all officers on the team are trying their best to build a good product. The idea is that you’re going to encounter problems, so you might as well try to learn from them the best you can.”

Li’s team members are also not required to produce lengthy reports or presentations – instead, team members spend just five minutes a week recording their achievements in bullet points.



Every January, team members also pause all non-urgent work and participate in a hackathon. Hongyi said that the hackathon helps his team to “generate a lot of ideas that you would never have found if you just waited for instructions from what is traditionally senior leadership.”

He also believes that it is important to include as many team members in the creative process as possible. Li said: “A leader has to support and facilitate as many of the good people you hire as possible to spend time thinking about the problem, so you maximise the amount of creative brain power.”

While some netizens responding to Hongyi’s remarks praised his approach and inventiveness, others pointed out that Hongyi’s products may not have been developed if his father was not his bosses’ superior:

Any conflict of interest. ? Or unfair advantage ?
[+] 2 users Like lste88's post
Quote
Users browsing: 2 Guest(s)


Forum Jump: