Ministers are not paid enough!” – Goh Chok Tong slams suggestion by cutting pay
[Image: 634427.jpeg]

http://theindependent.sg/ministers-are-n...erial-pay/

Ministers are not paid enough!” – ESM Goh Chok Tong slams suggestion to fund elderly pension scheme by cutting ministerial pay

According to an audio recording shared by a local online publication, Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong appears to have slammed a suggestion to fund elderly pension by cutting million-dollar ministerial salaries.

The former prime minister of Singapore was apparently speaking to grassroots leaders and Government partners at an event on Thursday when he asserted that “ministers are not paid enough!” and that it is “very populist” to demand that ministerial pay be slashed instead.

ESM Goh had been responding to this question: “Can we have some sort of an elderly pensions fund? Perhaps, can I say, cut a bit on the defence? Or perhaps even from the ministers with million-dollar salaries?”

Sharing that he would have applauded the man who asked the question if he suggested that elderly pension could be funded by hiking the Goods and Services Tax (GST), ESM Goh allegedly responded:

Somebody must pay for the pension and you got it right. We’ll have to take it from somewhere else. If you had suggested we up GST by 2 per cent, I would have applauded you. Seriously. Because you’re taxing the whole society to support the older ones. But you did not.

“But you said cut the defence. 1 per cent is enough. On top of that, you said cut ministers’ salaries. That’s very populist. I’m telling you the ministers are not paid enough. And down the road, we’re going to have a problem getting people to join the Government. Because civil servants now earn more than ministers. Are you aware of that?

“And where do we get future office holders from? From the private sector? I tried for the last election. Two of them – one earning $5 million and one earning $10 million a month. To be minister for $1 million?

“So where do you want to get your ministers from? From people who warn only $500,000 a year? You’re going to end up with very mediocre people who can’t even earn a million dollars outside. Is it good for you or is it worse for us?”
5-8-2018 9:32 AM
forum456 said:
“But you said cut the defence. 1 per cent is enough. On top of that, you said cut ministers’ salaries. That’s very populist. I’m telling you the ministers are not paid enough. And down the road, we’re going to have a problem getting people to join the Government. Because civil servants now earn more than ministers. Are you aware of that?

I thought people join the government for the sake of helping the country and the people to prosper right?
Not solely for salary objectives.
[+] 1 user Likes hfourhappy's post
Can mata pls take action against the person that suggest this?

High salary prevent corruption - do that guy want our beloved elites corrupt Angry
also high salary = dignity - so he want our beloved elites to have no dignity. Angry Angry

In fact I fully agree with Mr. Goh, we shld actually increase their salary by at least 100%, this can easily be done by increase the GST to 30% thumbs up
The people deserve the government they have.
He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither.
Democracy gives every man the right to be his own oppressor.
It has been found that the best way to insure implicit obedience is to commence tyranny in the nursery.
[+] 1 user Likes Lesser Mortal's post
forum456 said:
“So where do you want to get your ministers from? From people who warn only $500,000 a year? You’re going to end up with very mediocre people who can’t even earn a million dollars outside. Is it good for you or is it worse for us?”

I feel we should not use monetary incentives to gauge the people.
We need someone that can serve the country and the people with their heart and not money comes first.
Lead by example. Cut pay first during economical slowdown. Strengthening the safety net to help jobless, lower income & destitute population.....
[+] 1 user Likes ZhuMingQiang's post
I feel that he is telling us , better dont touch on our salary. Can increase but cannot reduce even in bad times.

5-8-2018 9:39 AM
ZhuMingQiang said:
Lead by example. Cut pay first during economical slowdown. Strengthening the safety net to help jobless, lower income & destitute population.....
Guess this clearly shows where the hearts are from these Plundering Atrocious Pirates

PRC KTV hostess once told me "台湾人无情, 香港人无义,新加坡人无稚" dance
Aiyah which country not corrupted. Pap ministers salary should be 100x higher lah. Rolling on the flor laughing
forum456 said:

I feel that it is not populist but merely a person's opinion, person thought, person views.
forum456 said:
[Image: 634427.jpeg]

http://theindependent.sg/ministers-are-n...erial-pay/

Ministers are not paid enough!” – ESM Goh Chok Tong slams suggestion to fund elderly pension scheme by cutting ministerial pay

According to an audio recording shared by a local online publication, Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong appears to have slammed a suggestion to fund elderly pension by cutting million-dollar ministerial salaries.

The former prime minister of Singapore was apparently speaking to grassroots leaders and Government partners at an event on Thursday when he asserted that “ministers are not paid enough!” and that it is “very populist” to demand that ministerial pay be slashed instead.

ESM Goh had been responding to this question: “Can we have some sort of an elderly pensions fund? Perhaps, can I say, cut a bit on the defence? Or perhaps even from the ministers with million-dollar salaries?”

Sharing that he would have applauded the man who asked the question if he suggested that elderly pension could be funded by hiking the Goods and Services Tax (GST), ESM Goh allegedly responded:

Somebody must pay for the pension and you got it right. We’ll have to take it from somewhere else. If you had suggested we up GST by 2 per cent, I would have applauded you. Seriously. Because you’re taxing the whole society to support the older ones. But you did not.

“And where do we get future office holders from? From the private sector? I tried for the last election. Two of them – one earning $5 million and one earning $10 million a month. To be minister for $1 million?

Why should civil servants earn more than ministers.....? Ministers are those who head a portfolio, and thence they should be paid higher than a civil servant. If GCT is truthful enough, then his theory does not hold water. Wouldn't ministers be jealous of the civil servant's high salary........? It just doesn't make sense to me.....
Users browsing: 1 Guest(s)