Music from Levin's Music Lists
For those who don't want to read long story and want to listen to music, go straight to the second post. Big Grin

I have more or less finished compiling thousands of songs and music and adding them to the following Levin's Music Lists:

- Baroque, Classical & Romantic (did not go into Medieval and Renaissance music).

- Modern instrumental (including chart hits from the 1950s onwards)

- 2000s Mainstream American music (Definition of 'mainstream' is that the music must peaked at 40 or above on the Billboard Hot 100)

- 1980s Mainstream American music

Other lists that are not so complete:

- The other decades of American mainstream music.

- Chinese music from the 1970s till now

- Cantonese music from the 1970s till 1990s.

- Japanese music from the 1970s to 1990s.

- And the more obscure stuff such as Russian, Israeli, Swedish, German stuff etc.

Feels like I could start a thread to share them.
The first piece of music I want to share is Perfidia performed by Xavier Cugat and his orchestra. Note that it is recorded in 1939 so the production values is not that great.

"Perfidia" (Spanish for "perfidy", meaning faithlessness, treachery or betrayal) is a song written by Alberto Domínguez (1911–1975), a Mexican composer and arranger born in the state of Chiapas, about love and betrayal.

The song was published in 1939 and became a hit for Xavier Cugat on the Victor label in 1940.

A rock version by the Ventures hit 18 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1960. I prefer the Cugat's version.

The first time I noticed Perfidia was when watching the film 阿飞正传 (Days of Being Wild). The music was played during the train scene. I am not going to spoil the scene for those who have not seen it but the main protagonist in that scene is a drifter acted by 张国荣 (Leslie Cheung). A sailor who was an ex-cop acted by 刘德华 (Andy Lau) was in that scene too.
[+] 2 users Like Levin's post
Chris Isaak's Wicked Game.

This song's guitar intro is one my favourite intro. The instrumental version has a better intro as it brought forward the bridge and make it part of the intro.

Song was released in 1989 but was not popular until it was featured in David Lynch's movie, Wild At Heart. Lee Chesnut, an Atlanta radio station music director who loved David Lynch films, began playing the song, and it quickly became a top-ten hit in January 1991, reaching number 6 on the Billboard Hot 100.

The MV featured Isaak and supermodel, Helena Christensen semi-naked. It was ranked #13 on VH1's 100 Greatest Videos, #4 on VH1's 50 Sexiest Video Moments, #73 on Rolling Stone magazine's The 100 Top Music Videos, and #1 on Fuse's 40 Sexiest Videos in 2010.

Instrumental Version:

Midnight Cowboy by Mantonvani Orchestra..

5-10-2019 12:18 PM
Auntynice said:
Midnight Cowboy by Mantonvani Orchestra..

Midnight Cowboy is in my listening list too. But the one I had was the recording by Ferrante & Teicher in 1969 which was composed by John Barry.

Midnight Cowboy was used in the movie of the same name starring Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman. Jon Voight's Angelina Jolie's father. John Barry did the music score for the movie but strangely did not get an on-screen credit for this movie.

The movie version is performed with a harmonica. The album version is performed by Tommy Reilly. But in the movie's version, it was performed by Toots Thielemans.

Album version of Midnight Cowboy:

Ferrante & Teiche's version peaked at number 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1970.
Wanted to post a 台湾校园民歌 (My lousy literal translation: Taiwanese school folk song) or a Cantonese song from the 70s earlier but since I got sidetracked by John Barry's Midnight Cowboy, might as well post another composition from him.

Somewhere in Time.

This is his best selling film score.

The movie is quite nice and starred Christopher Reeves (Superman) and Jane Seymour.

Parts of the movie:

那一盆火 (My literal translation: That Basin of Fire)

Singer: 包美圣 (Bao Meishen)

Composer and Lyricist: 侯德建 (Hou Dejian)

This song was released in 1980. Local singer 邓妙华 (Maggie Teng) did a cover version of the song.

I personally feel that this song should be sang by 李健复 (Li Jianfu) who is best known for 龙的传人 (My translation: Descendants of the Dragon) or 黄大城 (Huang Dacheng) who is best known for 渔唱 (My translation: Fishermen's Song). Their voices have more gravitas and fit the song better.

Lyrics:

大年夜的歌声在远远地唱,
冷冷的北风紧紧地吹;
我总是痴痴地看着那,
轻轻地纸灰慢慢地飞。
曾经是爷爷点着的火,
曾经是爹爹交给了我;
分不清究竟为什么?
爱上这熊熊地一盆火。

熊熊地香火在狠狠地烧,
层层地纸钱金黄的敲;
敲响了我的相思调,
甜甜远远地相思调。
别问我唱的什么调,
其实妳心里全知道;
敲敲胸中锈了的弦,
轻轻地唱妳的相思调。

Repeat both verses.
夢二のテーマ (Yumeji's Theme) composed by 梅林茂 (Umebayashi Shigeru).

It was originally used in the Japanese movie 夢二 (Yumeji)but became famous because it was also used in the movie, 花样年华 (In the Mood for Love). 花样年华's director is 王家卫 (Wong Kar-Wai), who also directed 阿飞正传 (Days of Being Wild) which was mentioned here: https://sgtalk.org/mybb/Thread-Music-fro...pid3675675

Below is the extended version put up by a fan of 花样年华. Original theme is less than 3 minutes.

Original:

By the way, 花样年华 is a nice movie. 王家卫 is a master in creating moods.
The Way by Fastball

Lyrics with better audio than MV:

In June 1997, an elderly married couple, Lela and Raymond Howard from Salado, Texas, left home to attend the Pioneer Day festival at nearby Temple, Texas, despite Lela's Alzheimers and Raymond recently recovering from brain surgery. They were discovered two weeks later, dead, at the bottom of a ravine near Hot Springs, Arkansas, hundreds of miles off their intended route.

The song is a romanticization of what happened to them.

The song never charted on the Billboard Hot 100. Was voted by VH1 as one of the 100 Greatest Songs of the 1990s, ranking number 94.

The MV is not that safe for work. Go search for it at youtube if necessary.
On The Side of Me by Corrinne May (Corrinne Foo May Ying)

Corrinne is a Singaporean based in LA. This song was released in 2007 and just like the previous one never charted on the Billboard Hot 100. Never charted in any other charts as far as I know.

The first time I heard this song I thought the singer was Sarah McLachlan. Pleasantly surprised to find that it was a Singaporean. It is one of the few English songs by Singaporeans that I really like.
Users browsing: 2 Guest(s)