Music from Levin's Music Lists
remix lah.

もう恋なんてしない (Google translate: I Don't Love Anymore) by 槇原敬之 (Makihara Noriyuki)

Song was written by Makihara himself and was released in 1992.

Peaked at #2 on Oricon for a week but was ranked #7 for the year of 1992.
Cantonese cover of もう恋なんてしない:

我的亲爱 (Google translate: My Dear) by 黎明 (Leon Lai Ming)

Lyrics by 刘卓辉 (Gene Lau).

Song was released in 1992.
I have no more songs on my listening lists with "Child" or "Children" in the song title so here's a song on child abuse instead.

Luka by Suzanne Vega.

I chose the above version even though it has spelling mistakes because it shows Vega's face.

Song was written by Vega and released in 1987.

Peaked at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 that year.

MV version:

A song on another topic instead of child abuse. This time on poverty, drinking etc.

Fast Car by Tracy Chapman.

Song was written by Chapman and released in 1988.

Peaked at #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 that year.

Rolling Stone ranked the song number 167 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. It is also the highest ranking song both written and performed by a female artist on the list.

Pitchfork placed the song at number 86 on their list of the 200 Best Songs of the 1980s.
Apache by The Shadows.

"Apache" is an instrumental written by English composer Jerry Lordan who got his inspiration from the 1954 American western film Apache.

The original version was by guitarist Bert Weedon, but Lordan did not like the version and thus it was not released back then.

The first release of the song was by The Shadows who recorded "Apache" in June 1960 and released it the next month. Their version topped the UK Singles Chart for five weeks.

Cliff Richard played a Chinese drum at the beginning and end of this recording to provide an atmosphere of stereotypically Native American music.

In 1961, Danish jazz guitarist Jørgen Ingmann's cover of "Apache" went to No. 2 in the US and No. 2 in Canada. Most Americans only knew this version instead of The Shadows' version until YouTube happened.

In March 2005, Q magazine placed "Apache" by the Shadows at No. 96 on its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks.

This song is my ringtone for a couple of years 5-6 years ago.
Miserlou by D_ick Dale.

"Misirlou" (Greek: Μισιρλού ; Turkish: Mısırlı ; Arabic: مصر‎) is a folk song from the Eastern Mediterranean region, with origins in the Ottoman Empire. The original author of the folk song is not known.

The earliest known recording of the song is a 1927 Greek rebetiko/tsifteteli composition influenced by Middle Eastern music.

The song is about an Egyptian woman.

In 1962 D_ick Dale rearranged the song as a solo instrumental rock guitar piece. During a performance, Dale was bet by a young fan that he could not play a song on only one string of his guitar. Dale's father and uncles were Lebanese-American musicians, and Dale remembered seeing his uncle play "Misirlou" on one string of the oud. He vastly increased the song's tempo to make it into rock and roll. It was Dale's surf rock version that introduced "Misirlou" to a wider audience in the United States.

Song never charted.

In March 2005, Q magazine placed Dale's version at number 89 in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks.
The original Miserlou recorded in 1927 mentioned in the previous post:

Μισιρλού by Τέτος Δημητριάδης (Tetos Dimitriades)

Classical Gas by Mason Williams.

"Classical Gas" is an instrumental musical piece composed and originally performed by Mason Williams with instrumental backing by members of the Wrecking Crew.

Song was released in 1968.

Originally named "Classical Gasoline", the tune was envisioned to be "fuel" for the classical guitar repertoire. The title was later inadvertently shortened by a music copyist.

Williams was the head writer for The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour at the time of the piece's release and premiered the composition on the show.

In 1969, the piece won three Grammy Awards: Best Instrumental Composition, Best Contemporary-Pop Performance, Instrumental, and Best Instrumental Arrangement.

Peaked at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1968.
Users browsing: 1 Guest(s)