Music from Levin's Music Lists
The Jimi Hendrix Experience gave a dramatic performance of the previously posted song, at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967. In the documentary Monterey Pop, Jimi Hendrix lit his guitar on fire at the song's conclusion.

Wild Thing by The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Today is the birthday of Addie "Micki" Harris.

Will You Love Me Tomorrow by The Shirelles.

"Will You Love Me Tomorrow", sometimes known as "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow", is a song written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King. It was originally recorded in 1960 by the Shirelles, who took their single to number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The song also reached #2 on the R&B chart and #4 in the UK. It reached #3 in New Zealand.

The song is also notable for being the first song by a black all-girl* group to reach number one in the United States.

The song was ranked as the 162nd greatest song of all time, as well as the best song of 1960, by Acclaimed Music. It was ranked at #126 among Rolling Stone 's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. Billboard named the song #3 on their list of 100 Greatest girl* Group Songs of All Time.

When first presented with the song, lead singer Shirley Owens (later known as Shirley Alston-Reeves) did not want to record it, because she thought it was "too country." She relented after a string arrangement was added. However, Owens recalled on Jim Parsons' syndicated oldies radio program, Shake Rattle Showtime, that some radio stations had banned the record because they had felt the lyrics were too sexually charged.

The Shirelles were an American girl* group notable for their rhythm and blues, doo-wop and soul music who gained popularity in the early 1960s. They consisted of schoolmates Shirley Owens (later Shirley Alston Reeves), Doris Coley (later Doris Kenner-Jackson), Addie "Micki" Harris (later Addie Harris McFadden), and Beverly Lee.

Founded in 1957 for a talent show at their high school, they were signed by Florence Greenberg of Tiara Records. Their first single, "I Met Him on a Sunday", was released in 1958. After a brief and unsuccessful period with Decca, they went with Greenberg to her newly formed company, Scepter Records. Working with Luther Dixon, the group rose to fame with "Tonight's the Night". After a successful period of collaboration with Dixon and promotion by Scepter, with seven top 20 hits.

In later years, the Shirelles declined in popularity due in part to pressure from the British Invasion and the heavy competition from other girl* groups, including The Chiffons, The Supremes, The Ronettes, Martha & the Vandellas, and The Crystals. They left Sceptor Records in 1966.

After the commercial failure of their most recent releases, Coley left the group in 1968 to focus on her family. The remaining three Shirelles recorded songs for several labels until 1971. Afterwards, they toured singing their older songs, and participated in the filming of the 1973 documentary Let the Good Times, recording two songs for it. Coley returned as lead singer in 1975, replacing Owens, who left that year to pursue a solo career. Addie "Micki" Harris died of a heart attack on 10 June 1982, in the Hyatt Regency in Atlanta, Georgia after two performances with the group .

The Shirelles have been described as having a "naive schoolgirl sound" that contrasted with the sexual themes of many of their songs. Several of their hits used strings and baião-style music. They have been credited with launching the girl* group genre, with much of their music reflecting the genre's essence. Their acceptance by both white and black audiences, predating that of the Motown acts, has been noted as reflecting the early success of the Civil Rights Movement.

They have received numerous honors, including the Pioneer Award from the Rhythm and Blues Foundation, as well as being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996, and named one of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time by Rolling Stone in 2004. Two of their songs, "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" and "Tonight's the Night", were selected by Rolling Stone on its list of the greatest songs of all time.

Today, the original members tour in different, separate, groups, although the trademark to the Shirelles name was eventually acquired by Lee. Shirley Owens performed on the Doo Wop 51 PBS special in 2000, and continues to tour under the name 'Shirley Alston Reeves and her Shirelles'. Lee currently tours with new members, billed as "The Shirelles". Doris Coley died in Sacramento, California, on 4 February 2000, of breast cancer.

Addie "Micki" Harris (22 January 1940, Passaic, New Jersey – 10 June 1982, Atlanta, Georgia) was a member of the Shirelles. She died of an heart attack.
Cover of the previous song by the songwriter.

Will You Love Me Tomorrow by Carole King.

In 1971 Carole King, the co-writer of the song, recorded a version of "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" for her landmark studio album Tapestry, with Joni Mitchell and James Taylor performing background vocals on separate audio channels. King's version of the song was taken at a considerably slower tempo.

In the 1984 comedy film Police Academy, Blankes and Copeland dance to the song in the Blue Oyster Bar.

In the 2013 Broadway musical, Beautiful: The Carole King Musical, the song is featured in part four times: once during its writing, once during King recording a demo of it, then with The Shirelles performing it, and then King singing and playing it later during an especially bad time in her marriage with Goffin (another famous songwriter). No other song is featured as frequently in the musical.
Answer song to The Shirelles' version of the previous song released in 1960.

Not just Tomorrow, But Always by Bertell Dache.

Today is the birthday of this Bill Cunningham.

The Letter by The Box Tops.

"The Letter" is a song written by Wayne Carson that was first recorded by the American rock band The Box Tops in 1967. It was sung in a gruff blue-eyed soul style by Alex Chilton. The song was the group's first and biggest record chart hit, reaching number one in the United States and Canada. It remained at the top position in US for four weeks and Billboard ranked the record as the number two song for 1967. The single sold more than one million copies and the RIAA certified it as gold. It was also an international success and reached the top ten in several other countries.

"The Letter" launched Chilton's career and inspired numerous cover versions. English rock and soul singer Joe Cocker's 1970 rendition became his first top ten single in the U.S.; several other artists have recorded versions of the song which also reached the record charts.

Rolling Stone magazine included the Box Tops original at number 372 on its list of the "500 Greatest Songs of All Time"; the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame added it to the list of the "500 Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll". In 2011, the single was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.

Wayne Carson wrote "The Letter", built on an opening line suggested by his father: "Give me a ticket for an aeroplane". Carson included the song on a demo tape he gave to Chips Moman, owner of American Sound Studio in Memphis, Tennessee. When studio associate Dan Penn was looking for an opportunity to produce more songs, Moman suggested a local group, The DeVilles, who had a new lead singer, sixteen year-old Alex Chilton. The other four members of the group that played on the session were Danny Smythe on drums, Richard Malone on electric guitar, John Evans on electric piano, and Russ Caccamisi on bass. With little or no rehearsal, the group arrived at American Sound to record "The Letter".

Penn later explained, "[Chilton] picked it up exactly as I had in mind, maybe even better. I hadn't even paid any attention to how good he sang because I was busy trying to put the band together ... I had a bunch of greenhorns who'd never cut a record, including me".

About thirty takes were required for the basic track. Then Penn had Mike Leech prepare a string and horn arrangement for the song to give it a fuller sound. Leech recalled: "My very first string arrangement was 'The Letter', and the only reason I did that was because I knew how to write music notation ... Nobody else in the group did or I'm sure someone else would have gotten the call."

The DeVilles were renamed the Box Tops and "The Letter", at only 1 minute, 58 seconds, was released.

The Box Tops is an American rock band formed in Memphis in 1967. They are best known for the hits "The Letter", "Cry Like a Baby", and "Soul Deep" and are considered a major blue-eyed soul group of the period. Vocalist Alex Chilton went on to front the power pop band Big Star and to launch a career as a solo artist, during which he occasionally performed songs he had sung with the Box Tops.

The Box Tops' music combined elements of soul music and light pop. Their records are prime examples of the styles made popular by Moman and Penn at American Sound Studio in Memphis. Many of their lesser known Top 40 hits, including "Neon Rainbow", "I Met Her in Church", and "Sweet Cream Ladies, Forward March", are considered minor classics.

William "Bill" Cunningham (born 23 January 1950) is the original bass guitarist / keyboardist for the Box Tops.

Cunningham was born in Memphis, Tennessee. He remained a member of the Box Tops until August 1969, when he decided to return to school to get a music degree in performance of the upright bass.

Though Cunningham virtually vanished from the pop music scene after he left the Box Tops, he rose in the ranks of classical musicians, playing in many symphony orchestras (including the Memphis Symphony) and in ballet and opera companies while attending university. During this period he backed artists in the mid- to late-1970s.

In 1996, Cunningham played the principal role in reforming the original Box Tops. He played bass and shared responsibility for keyboard parts with John Evans on the Tear Off album. Cunningham has toured with the group since 1997.

After a 6-year hiatus following the death of The Box Tops lead singer, Alex Chilton in 2010, Bill and Gary Talley, the original guitarist, reunited The Box Tops and began touring in 2016. In 2017 The Box Tops joined The Happy Together Tour with The Turtles, The Association, The Cowsills, Chuck Negron of Three Dog Night, and Ron Dante of The Archies.

On 6 September 2018, The Box Tops filmed, live before an audience of 1,700, a German TV special in Hamburg Germany.

On November 1, 2018, Cunningham was inducted into the Memphis Music Hall Of Fame, as a founding member of The Box Tops.
Successful cover of the previous song.

The Letter by Joe Cocker.

English singer Joe Cocker recorded "The Letter" during the rehearsals for his upcoming Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour on 17 March 1970. It appeared in Billboard's Hot 100 in April 1970 and eventually reached number seven. "The Letter" became Cocker's first top ten single in the US. In the UK, the single reached number 39.

Cocker performed the song during his 1970 performance at the Fillmore East auditorium in New York City. Recording of the song is included on the live Mad Dogs & Englishmen album, which was released in August 1970 and was a best seller. The concert was also filmed in its entirety and released in theaters. In 2003, it was released on DVD. Cocker's single version of the song is briefly used in Quentin Tarantino's 2019 film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
Today is the birthday of this Malaysian singer and actress.

Posting this song as among her songs, it has the most views on YouTube.

谢谢你的爱 (Google translation: Thank You For Your Love) by 李心洁 (Angelica Lee).

Song is written by 张震岳 (Chang Chenyue) and is collected in Lee's eighth and final solo studio album, Man & Woman (2003).

Angelica Lee Sinje (born 23 January 1976) is a Malaysian Chinese film actress and pop singer.

On 23 January 1976, Lee was born in Alor Setar, Kedah, Malaysia to a motorcycle shop owner and a homemaker. During her years in primary school, Lee was an active participant in singing competitions, where she won numerous awards, and in various sport-related activities. At Keat Hwa Secondary School, she was the head of her school's drama club. In 1995, at 19 years old, Lee was discovered by 张艾嘉 (Sylvia Chang) at a Kuala Lumpur film audition.

She started her career in singing and later moved on to acting in Taiwan and Hong Kong and Malaysia.

After signing with Rock Records, she released her debut album, 同一个星空下 (my lousy translation: Under The Same Starry Sky), in 1996. She has since released eight solo albums.

In 1998, a singing group 少女標本 was formed with Lee, 徐怀钰 (Yuki Hsu), 吳佩慈 (Pace Wu) and 陈绮贞 (Cheer Chen) and their eponomous debut album was released in 1998. It is also their only album.

Lee's film debut was in the 1999 Hong Kong film, 阳光警察 (Sunshine Cops). She has since acted in over 20 films.

Lee starred in 见鬼 (The Eye), the hit Asian horror film by the Pang Brothers, winning her the Golden Horse Award for Best Actress, Best Actress at the Hong Kong Film Festival and a Hong Kong Golden Bauhinia Award. She is among the very few Asian artists to be awarded Best Newcomer Awards at the Berlin Film Festival in 2001 for her role in 爱你爱我 (Betelnut Beauty).

Lee has also starred in the films 20 30 40 (where she co-starred with Sylvia Chang), and 救命 (Koma). She worked with the Pangs again on 鬼域 (Re-cycle), which was screened at the 2006 Cannes Film Festival.

Lee's first TV series was the Chinese series 似水年华 in 2002. She is the second female lead. This series has a Douban rating of 8.8.

In 2004, she was named as one of the Top Ten Outstanding Youths in Malaysia for her contribution to charity work.

In 2006, Angelica and her friends, 杨采妮 (Charlie Yeung), 梁咏琪 (Gigi Leung) and 许茹芸 (Valen Hsu) formed "Little Yellow Flower Education Foundation". It is a non-profit organisation to help children in need.

In 2010, Lee married Hong Kong born Thai director 彭顺 (Oxide Pang). Together, the couple has twin boys, born on 8 July 2016.
Users browsing: 2 Guest(s)