Narendra Modi has left India's economy a shattered mess
#1
[Image: 928872.jpeg]

Instead of bold reforms, PM has relied on cash handouts and divisive culture wars

Despite his pro-business image, Prime Minister Narendra Modi is proving increasingly inept at managing India's economy, with his dream of building a $5 trillion behemoth by 2025 now looking increasingly unachievable.

A native Gujarati, one of India's most advanced industrial states, Modi has consistently raised hopes that he'd fix the economy and create enough jobs for the 12 million youths who join the country's workforce each year.

Yet six years after riding a wave of optimism into office, India's economy is a shattered mess, with gross domestic product expected to contract for the first time in four decades and unemployment at an all-time high. None of the major growth engines -- consumption, private investment, or exports -- are firing. Worse, the government doesn't have the capacity to try and spend its way out of the downturn.....

Given the inherent limitations of India's first-past-the-post voting system, it's easier to win an election by relying on cash handouts and polarizing voters along communal lines rather than implementing much-needed but politically unpopular reform measures. Better economic management may not necessarily lead to electoral wins. That sums up Modinomics.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Opinion/Narendra...tered-mess
Quote
#2
1-9-2020 4:21 PM
Cityhantam said:
Instead of bold reforms, PM has relied on cash handouts and divisive culture wars

https://asia.nikkei.com/Opinion/Narendra...tered-mess

Terrible!.....

Singapore companies invested alot in India e.g SingTel hope things get better.
I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I will do my utmost to keep them alive.
Against tyrants and adversity, I will strive.
Together, a better future, we will realise......
Quote
#3
1-9-2020 4:24 PM
sgbuffett said:
Terrible!.....

Singapore companies invested alot in India e.g SingTel hope things get better.

Embarrassed this is WHY I sold Singtel stocks long time ago, but I using Singnet rah.

Ever since they claim got investment at India , I just sold.
thumbs up $$$$Happy to be Foreveralone because I'm $Rich$$$$ Embarrassed
Researcher in Social Science + Politics
[+] 1 user Likes [[ForeverAlone]]'s post
Quote
#4
1-9-2020 4:24 PM
sgbuffett said:
Terrible!.....

Singapore companies invested alot in India e.g SingTel hope things get better.

https://www.onlinecitizenasia.com/2020/0...tel-stake/

Singtel incurs additional $911 million charges from India’s Bharti Airtel stake

Currently, Singtel’s effective shareholding in Airtel is 31.9%. Other than Singtel, GIC has also invested in Airtel.
Quote
#5
this is WHY I sold Singtel stocks long time ago, but I using Singnet rah.

Ever since they claim got investment at India , I just sold.

WAIT TILL INDIAN PILOTS FROM INDIA FLY SIA,AND W JUST ONLY A CRASH THE DAMAGE DONE IS MANY FOLDS .
Quote
#6
Singtel is losing money in India
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=12507367]
Quote
#7
1-9-2020 4:24 PM
sgbuffett said:
Terrible!.....

Singapore companies invested alot in India e.g SingTel hope things get better.

It is not known how long it will take India to regain the economic momentum, I reckon it's going to take at least 2 years. dunsee Secondly, I'm quite appalled at the blatant robbery by India's judiciary through multi-billion dollar fines on all the foreign telcos which Singtel through Bharti was part of. Angry

I do not know why of all the places in the world they die die must go India, even doubling down with increased shareholding and rights issue. Every business person I know tells me India is one of the hardest places to do business, worse than Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar and China. Probably got sold by the 12% every year GDP growth during the good old days.
Quote
#8
1-9-2020 4:41 PM
maxsanic said:
It is not known how long it will take India to regain the economic momentum, I reckon it's going to take at least 2 years. dunsee Secondly, I'm quite appalled at the blatant robbery by India's judiciary through multi-billion dollar fines on all the foreign telcos which Singtel through Bharti was part of. Angry

I do not know why of all the places in the world they die die must go India, even doubling down with increased shareholding and rights issue. Every business person I know tells me India is one of the hardest places to do business, worse than Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar and China. Probably got sold by the 12% every year GDP growth during the good old days.

http://theindependent.sg/esm-goh-brags-t...m-the-90s/

[Image: hnZu6Oi.jpg]
Quote
#9
1-9-2020 4:32 PM
trendy said:
this is WHY I sold Singtel stocks long time ago, but I using Singnet rah.

Ever since they claim got investment at India , I just sold.

WAIT TILL INDIAN PILOTS FROM INDIA FLY SIA,AND W JUST ONLY A CRASH THE DAMAGE DONE IS MANY FOLDS .

thumbs up SIA ? I don't even bother to see that time when I know quite a lot their pilot suddenly from India
thumbs up $$$$Happy to be Foreveralone because I'm $Rich$$$$ Embarrassed
Researcher in Social Science + Politics
Quote
#10
1-9-2020 4:48 PM
[[ForeverAlone]] said:
thumbs up SIA ? I don't even bother to see that time when I know quite a lot their pilot suddenly from India

[Image: ecf15b8e-df4f-11e8-bb7b-3484094c71b9_128...k=n2c8RJTO]
Quote
Users browsing: 1 Guest(s)


Forum Jump: