Ong Ye Kung - MOE spends $238 million a year on foreign students
I know of a number of people who can't get into local uni bcos second language not good enough. So have to spend a lot of money to go overseas to study degree.

Yet PAP give local scholarships to foreigners with very bad English.
[+] 4 users Like LauHiLo's post
6-8-2019 1:57 PM
Ola said:
Em . . . I am not too sure if MOE has a rigorous system to filter the Brightest and Smartest FS (Foreign Student).

My guess is that it could be just like MOM with Employment Pass system: No 7 CHECKS ( academic, type of university, relevant work experience . . . )

Alvin the law student cum [email protected] star comes to mind.
“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice."
6-8-2019 6:35 AM
Cory said:
Well done. We need to replace losers like Tangsen

Idiotic beggar pinoy. Trouble-maker and must sent you back to yr dirty slums. A loser like you coming here to dirty our land with stinko shi*t mouth.
Seriously? I know of Singaporeans cant afford to put their kids into local University and Poly while some can’t afford 2 kids going to tertiary at the same time.

6-8-2019 2:59 AM
Alice Alicia said:
[Image: 766842.jpeg]

The Ministry of Education (MOE) spends about S$238 million a year on scholarships and tuition grants for international students studying in Singapore, Education Minister Ong Ye Kung revealed in Parliament on Monday (Aug 5). 

Mr Ong also said that foreign students are admitted into institutes of higher learning on more stringent requirements only after “all Singaporean students who meet the standards have been admitted”. 

Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/mo...n-students

Rolling on the flor laughing
Just saying...
$130M being spent annually on foreign student scholarships is downright obscene

By CGD

I refer to the article: "MOE spent $130M annually on foreign student scholarships and funding in 2014-2018". I implore our Education Minister not to play with “WORDS”; please take the question posed by Non-Constituency Member of Parliament Leon Perera seriously and be forthcoming in your response.

It doesn’t matter that the monies spent constituted just 1 per cent of MOE’s annual $13 billion budget, what really matters is that the absolute amount (130 million dollars) dispensed year after year could probably fund the studies of over 5,500 foreign students and that is a downright obscene state of affairs.

Why all this senseless spending whilst depriving our OWN citizens opportunities to attend public universities and secure decent employment thereafter? [Quoted from "School’s Out: How Singapore Keeps University Reserved for the Elites ": The Singapore government’s recent revelation that it wants to restrict two-thirds of its citizenry from receiving public university education has generated a strong reaction among its population.]

In some instances folks can’t even afford to pay for their children's school fees upfront and had to resort to making appeals to utilize existing CPF funds which were largely denied by the government, thus indirectly generating additional hardship for these families. One ended up killing both his wife and daughter because he couldn't settle his daughter's school fees [Quoted from "Woodlands double deaths: Murdered four-year-old adored by everyone in my family, says mother of accused": In fact, Teo had incurred debts of about S$70,000, and was struggling to pay his daughter's monthly school fees of S$850.]

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2019/07/...reign.html
[+] 2 users Like reddishday's post
All those so-called scholarships - should remove them all leaving only the PRESIDENT scholarships.

Only the rich/elite children can get it. They are just a little above normal children.
But with tuition/personal coaching, they can get the marks. To the parents, it's ego...
if their children get some form of government scholarship.

The system is churning out paper tigers/tigeress.
We are not really getting the real gifted talented kids.
6-8-2019 2:58 PM
LauHiLo said:
I know of a number of people who can't get into local uni bcos second language not good enough. So have to spend a lot of money to go overseas to study degree.

Yet PAP give local scholarships to foreigners with very bad English.

What an irony, to give uni places with tuition fees thrown in, while our young students are deprived on a uni education, and their parents need to fork out tens of thousands of dollars in other countries.
7-8-2019 6:30 PM
debono said:
What an irony, to give uni places with tuition fees thrown in, while our young students are deprived on a uni education, and their parents need to fork out tens of thousands of dollars in other countries.

Current Govt will use the same lame excuse- To boost our population.

giveup
Will PAP be prepared to give us a new list of Ministers with portfolio before GE2020?
These scholanships to FTrs can be used to lower the school fees for locals in the Uni and Poly. Now the school fees paid by locals without “subsidy” is the highest on earth comparing the same course in other Universities.
6-8-2019 6:34 AM
sgbuffett said:
Spending money on foreigners so they can get better qualifications on free scholarships to compete against singaporeans. What kind of thinking is this?

and yet 70% of Sinkees voted for this.................What kind of thinking is this?................ Rolling on the flor laughing Rolling on the flor laughing Rolling on the flor laughing Rolling on the flor laughing
Users browsing: 1 Guest(s)