ST Forum: High rent driving coffee shop stallholders away
[Image: 978613.jpeg]

The Housing Board should do more to regulate the rental prices at coffee shops in housing estates.

My husband and I frequent the coffee shop at Dawson Skyville.

We have come to know some of the stallholders and, for us, it has become a community of sorts.

We were therefore dismayed to learn that due to the exorbitant increase in monthly rental (roughly doubled), one of the stallholders was forced to relocate.

The HDB explained to us that it was unable to interfere with individual stallholders' rentals charged by the eating house operator.

It also said it adopts a Price Quality Method tender for eating houses to consider, and if the eating house operator charges a high rental, it runs the risk of having many vacant stalls in the eating house.

The bargaining power between the eating house operator and the individual stallholders, many of whom are of average means, is patently unequal.

Rental prices, if largely left to the domain of private parties, can become unreasonable.

Many stallholders are already struggling to keep their businesses afloat, especially amid the Covid-19 pandemic. I can understand the reasons for slight increases in rental but doubling it would be difficult for many stallholders to stomach.

In the long run, I worry about not only the stallholders' livelihood, but also the longevity of the small coffee shop culture. I personally enjoy many of the unique offerings that small stallholders offer.

If this issue is not addressed, I foresee that soon only the large commercial chains will be able to afford the rentals.

As a corollary to the rising rentals, stallholders would also be forced to increase the prices of their offerings to turn a profit, and these prices would undoubtedly be passed on to consumers.

I have observed that besides the stallholder who had to relocate, two other stallholders have also moved out.

It would truly be a shame if this significant part of our culture were eroded due to rising costs.

Surely, more can be done to tame the invisible hand of market forces.

Samantha Lim Li Min
https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/for...lders-away
Never argue with someone who believes their own lies.
Your degree is just a piece of paper, your education is seen in your behavior.
The excuses given will always be market forces in play and if you can't take the heat, then get out...
[+] 1 user Likes sgtalker's post
Rental a killer for many.
High rental, force to charge customer more for food.
Customers run road.
Government want us to be hawkers n yet cannot help to maintain landlord Rental?
I seldom eat in the coffee shop.

Don't eat in the coffee shop lor.
Do your own cooking and make your own coffee 058

1 pkt of instant coffee only cost 15cents.
https://shopee.sg/product/21317378/22610...10588010.9

But I buy Nescafe Gold and make my own coffee.
Buy when there is promotion in NTUC.
Sometimes you get it at $12.95 and free with 50g bottle.
人生的价值是行道,人性就是道德,道德是最好的信仰
Esp big shopping centre have become reits. Every increasing rents not happy shops just closed up. Hence you see many pop up stores. Next will be all those taken back jtc factories in Jurong/Tuas.
14-1-2021 8:50 AM
just2share said:
[Image: 978613.jpeg]

The Housing Board should do more to regulate the rental prices at coffee shops in housing estates.

My husband and I frequent the coffee shop at Dawson Skyville.

We have come to know some of the stallholders and, for us, it has become a community of sorts.

We were therefore dismayed to learn that due to the exorbitant increase in monthly rental (roughly doubled), one of the stallholders was forced to relocate.

The HDB explained to us that it was unable to interfere with individual stallholders' rentals charged by the eating house operator.

It also said it adopts a Price Quality Method tender for eating houses to consider, and if the eating house operator charges a high rental, it runs the risk of having many vacant stalls in the eating house.

The bargaining power between the eating house operator and the individual stallholders, many of whom are of average means, is patently unequal.

Rental prices, if largely left to the domain of private parties, can become unreasonable.

Many stallholders are already struggling to keep their businesses afloat, especially amid the Covid-19 pandemic. I can understand the reasons for slight increases in rental but doubling it would be difficult for many stallholders to stomach.

In the long run, I worry about not only the stallholders' livelihood, but also the longevity of the small coffee shop culture. I personally enjoy many of the unique offerings that small stallholders offer.

If this issue is not addressed, I foresee that soon only the large commercial chains will be able to afford the rentals.

As a corollary to the rising rentals, stallholders would also be forced to increase the prices of their offerings to turn a profit, and these prices would undoubtedly be passed on to consumers.

I have observed that besides the stallholder who had to relocate, two other stallholders have also moved out.

It would truly be a shame if this significant part of our culture were eroded due to rising costs.

Surely, more can be done to tame the invisible hand of market forces.

Samantha Lim Li Min
https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/for...lders-away

Now a days , people blame people

the coffeeshop owner will claim , " property market booming , an HDB BTO flat can fetch MILLIONS why my coffeeshop I cannot increase rent?? "

than will also claim " Mantienance cost also increase " If I don't increase rental , I earn what ?? I also want to earn money beside those hawkers too
thumbs up $$$$Happy to be Foreveralone because I'm $Rich$$$$ Embarrassed
Researcher in Social Science + Politics
Well...of cos la..Govt charge so high land cost...its all at the Top.
All My Posts are Fake News and Comments are Untrue.
The usual act smart greedy unless civil serpents. Trying to use public facilities and infrastructure to capitalise on it. They uses public money to make money from public.

Also ao experience in biz trying to follow corporate world.
PRC ktv* hostess once told me "台湾人无情, 香港人无义,新加坡人无稚" dance dance
14-1-2021 11:30 AM
Tangsen said:
The usual act smart greedy unless civil serpents. Trying to use public facilities and infrastructure to capitalise on it. They uses public money to make money from public.

Also ao experience in biz trying to follow corporate world.

They claim they got sexperience doing china business mah. China will buy up alot of singapore goods. You sapport wor. So china cannot help sg arh?
Users browsing: 1 Guest(s)