Singapore practically ALREADY in recession.
14-8-2019 5:56 PM
sgbuffett said:
Singapore is becoming like Japan in the 90s maybe worse because we also lost much of manufacturing base.

1 Negative. Demographics.
2. High income inequality
3. Lack of domestic economy and export reliance.
4. High household debt.
5. Japan-like cost structure...high rental, low investment yield, ...
6. Dominance of govt linked business...undynamic dinosaurs pulling down our economy.
7. Lack of innovation...lack of business startups...the vibrant ones like Grab and Gojek are Indonesian and malaysian companies.

These problens arenot new...singapore drifted along until we reach this point....

It is never a matter of commenting on what had happened but who can come out better ideas to bring economy rising is the important one.
Always relying on the government is what Sinkies are good at and that itself damage them.
14-8-2019 6:34 PM
sdecww said:
It is never a matter of commenting on what had happened but who can come out better ideas to bring economy rising is the important one.
Always relying on the government is what Sinkies are good at and that itself damage them.

How to revive the economy is discussed many times.

1. Restructure Govt link business break them up to small more nimble units.

2. Improve demographics...by implementing policies to increase birth rate instead of failing and failing at this. How to do it is described here

https://sgtalk.org/mybb/Thread-Wow-Putin...-for-years

3. Foster a culture of innovation through vibrant exchange of ideas. Stop repressive control of media to spread pap propaganda. Students should be taught critical thinking not to be raised to be obedient worker.. We have to remove exam focus and focus on learning....

4. Stop low wage structure. And start phasing out businesses tgat depend on cheap labor. They are a dead weight and govt keep feeding them with cheap foreign labor to keep going. Loolk at how it is done in high income countries. Learn from them

5. Rethink CPF which has highest contribution rrate in the world yet fail to achieve retirement adequacy. This lopsided burdening of citizens vs govt responsibility has weighed heavily on the citizens.

6. Dismantle the elitist structure of govt in which imperial exams generous scholarships break an elitist culture. If they are really smart they should be out creating businesses and jobs not in govt structures which are least economically productive...and too highly paid.
I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I will do my utmost to keep them alive.
Against tyrants and adversity, I will strive.
Together, a better future, we will realise......
[+] 2 users Like sgbuffett's post
tighten our belt hard.
spend only necessary.
save as much as possible.
Laughing
Already reported forecast to be as low as zero, what is so surprising?
14-8-2019 7:16 PM
hfourhappy said:
tighten our belt hard.
spend only necessary.
save as much as possible.

Just eat one tube of fox digestive biscuit a day.
There is no recession in Singapore is only a bit slow. Just walk around and open your eyes see by yourself such as durian stalls, restaurants, weekend long Q at woodland and Tuas checkpoint , COE keeps going up like that possible recession?
14-8-2019 7:31 PM
dynamite said:
Just eat one tube of fox digestive biscuit a day.

next week back to work, going to take oatmeal for lunch.
Singapore is a laundry hub. It will not be in recession as there’s always a lot to launder. Look at how strong the currency is, other countries have to weaken their currency to support export industries but not singapore.
14-8-2019 7:47 PM
hfourhappy said:
next week back to work, going to take oatmeal for lunch.

U can tahan? I ate lots of porridge with dishes, biscuits and ice cream three hours ago and I have completely digested them now.
Users browsing: 1 Guest(s)