The U.S. Has A Dire Shortage Of Affordable Homes
[Image: 713932.jpeg]

IMPACT 03/14/2019 10:00 am ET

By Laura Paddison

There is a staggering shortfall of 7 million available and affordable rental homes for extremely low-income renters

To put it another way, for every 100 of the lowest-earning renter households in the country — those at or below the federal poverty line or 30 percent or less of the median income in their area — there are only 37 available and affordable rental units.

President Donald Trump’s 2020 budget request, which proposes sweeping cuts to affordable housing programs and would undermine the already inadequate support systems in place for low-income renters.

Of the 11 million renters in the U.S. defined as extremely low income, nearly half are elderly or disabled, 39 percent are working, and 3 percent are in school. The lowest-income renters are disproportionately people of color: 38 percent of Native American households, 35 percent of black households and 28 percent of Hispanic households have extremely low incomes.

Wyoming has the largest supply, according to the report, but it has only 66 rental homes affordable and available for every 100 of the state’s poorest renters. Nevada has the worst figures, with only 19 per 100.

Reliance on the private housing market to build more homes won’t cut it, says the report. The costs of developing and maintaining new homes are simply not covered by the rents that the lowest-income renters can afford.

The solution, according to the report, is a huge and sustained investment in federal affordable housing programs targeting the lowest-income renters.

Solving the affordable housing crisis is simple, said Yentel, even if it won’t be easy to execute. “We have the research. We have the solutions. ... The only thing we actually lack is the political will to fund those solutions at the scale necessary,” she said.

But this political will is extremely unlikely to arrive under the current administration. The White House’s 2020 budget request, released on Monday, included deep cuts for affordable housing programs. HUD would see its budget cut by 16.4 percent.

Full article at: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/affordabl...d7661faaa0
Never mind lah!

They can go to White House or Mar a Lago ! Laughing
[Image: 6NnsfgW.png]

[Image: yvw49gI.png]
I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I will do my utmost to keep them alive.
Against tyrants and adversity, I will strive.
Together, a better future, we will realise......
They better get their act together or get voted out!
I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I will do my utmost to keep them alive.
Against tyrants and adversity, I will strive.
Together, a better future, we will realise......
Users browsing: 1 Guest(s)