What you miss eating this CNY ?
It must be age catching up on me. This CNY despite numerous visitations I have not tasted a single piece of "Nian Kaw" (brown glutinous rice cake)..... especially fried with a couple of sweet potatoes or yam slices.

Just thinking about this traditional snack brought joy & tears to me. I thank God for a loving mom who taught me how to fry this snack. I used to be the one frying this snack for our CNY breakfast.

Have a wonderful weekend and fruitful week ahead.
9-2-2019 6:27 PM
Unker888 said:
It must be age catching up on me. This CNY despite numerous visitations I have not tasted a single piece of "Nian Kaw" (brown glutinous rice cake)..... especially fried with a couple of sweet potatoes or yam slices.

Just thinking about this traditional snack brought joy & tears to me. I thank God for a loving mom who taught me how to fry this snack. I used to be the one frying this snack for our CNY breakfast.

Unker!! 245

Just googer 鸡蛋煎年糕的做法步骤 ... Happy
I've had everything but still not able to feel truly happy.
Until i saw “ordinary” is the only answer to true happiness.

快乐好比一只蝴蝶,你若伸手去捉它,往往会落空;但如果你静静地坐下来,它反而会在你身上停留。
The spirit of CNY is losing out to those days. Crying
Laughing
This year we boil nian kaw to make it slimy and throw it at each other before having s.ex..
This year my cny theme is aquaman 海参,鲍鱼,西洋海笋,扇贝, snapper ...
Needless to say we watch aquaman after the meal ...
9-2-2019 6:27 PM
Unker888 said:

You can buy and fry yourself
Most people keep it for 15 days first
[Image: B2ng2bS.jpg]
i miss the raw fish in yusheng....nothing can replace that including salmon sashimi.
I miss the shark fin Loh
[Image: B2ng2bS.jpg]
9-2-2019 8:07 PM
Lukongsimi said:
You can buy and fry yourself
Most people keep it for 15 days first

He could of course fry it at home to eat. But his lamentation was that in his several visitations, he did not see anybody frying it. That is one sign of our traditions disappearing.

The young spending time at McDonald's during CNY Eve, people not knowing how to cook anymore, and have to eat at restaurants, are also changes which can upset an older generation who have memories of how things were when they were children and saw their mothers whipping up dish after dish of traditional Chinese food.
Users browsing: 1 Guest(s)