Why pro-democracy troublemaker Jimmy Lai is the only Hong Kong multi-millionaire stan
#1
[Image: 813446.jpeg]

The 70-year-old founder of Apple Daily has forsaken his clothing business empire and endured death threats to pursue democracy in Hong Kong.

The figure he cuts at home, where he regularly hosts politicians, journalists and influential figures to discuss Hong Kong's democratic future -- or lack of it -- is in stark contrast to his reputation as a brash, instinct-driven, ex-factory manager whose formal education ended in primary school.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/27/media...index.html

That Lai has ties with the United States is undeniable. Last month, he flew to Washington to discuss with US Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and National Security Adviser John Bolton how fundamental Hong Kong's freedom is to the US' standoff with China.

"The (new) Cold War is actually a rivalry of competing values," Lai says, framing the current US-China trade war as a standoff of between democracy and authoritarianism. "We in Hong Kong are fighting for the shared values of the US against China. We are fighting their war in the enemy camp."

It's a battle Lai says he's prepared to die for.

Hong Kong was still under British rule but barreling towards reunification with China in 1997. As the city watched the Tiananmen crackdown in horror, Giordano began producing T-shirts with pro-student slogans.
Around the same time, Lai says he got divorced from his first wife. "I thought I was a very eligible guy," he says. "That was something shocking to me."

"It's my nature to be a rebel -- to be a revolutionary," Lai says. "I express it in business. Whenever I am in business, I create something different from the norm. That's the reason why I have been successful more than other people. I don't believe in incremental improvement."

The paper didn't care for balanced reporting: This was advocacy journalism, with a strong dose of saucy celebrity gossip.

On news stands, Lai sparked a citywide price war, virtually giving away the sensational title at two Hong Kong dollars (25 cents), the price vendors charged to sell it. "Other papers quickly imitated without much success," says So. "The style of writing, the use of big photos. The pagination. Everything. There was a term called 'Apple-ization.'"

"Nobody trusts the media. You don't trust the police. They don't trust the government," Tien says.
Societal fragmentation has been a theme of the current unrest, as protesters and police have faced off in a series of violent clashes that have been reported from vastly different perspectives across the media.

Lai was in the United States when the bill was announced and was warned by a US politician over breakfast about the danger it posed. "I really alerted myself," remembers Lai. "I looked at it again and said, 'sh%t, this is horrible.' I knew it was going to be a big thing."

His top aide in Hong Kong, Mark Simon, is the son of a former CIA employee.
That last detail never fails to tantalize onlookers. For decades, one of the key charges against Lai has been that he is a CIA stooge, and the Apple Daily a tool of the United States.

For Lai, if the financial hub's economy has to suffer for freedom, so be it: The prospect of a struggle doesn't give people "an excuse not to fight."
Quote
#2
The link and the content don't match.
Quote
#3
3-12-2019 8:40 AM
theold said:
...

His top aide in Hong Kong, Mark Simon, is the son of a former CIA employee.
...

That shows Jimmie Lai is a CIA agent. Proven.

Big Grin
Quote
#4
3-12-2019 8:50 AM
sudoku said:
The link and the content don't match.

It is a direct extract of the article inside. You can use the search function. The article is very long.
Quote
#5




“漢奸黎”!黎智英公然宣稱香港是在為美國而戰

香港壹傳媒的老闆黎智英公然宣稱,香港民眾正在同美國一道與中國進行一場價值觀的戰爭,是在為美國而戰,乞憐道“正在犧牲我們的自由、生命以及我們所擁有的一切,站在前線為你們而戰。難道你們不應當支持我們嗎?”難怪他被香港人斥駡“漢奸”,一點不冤枉!
Quote
#6
3-12-2019 8:40 AM
theold said:
[Image: 813446.jpeg]

The 70-year-old founder of Apple Daily has forsaken his clothing business empire and endured death threats to pursue democracy in Hong Kong.

The figure he cuts at home, where he regularly hosts politicians, journalists and influential figures to discuss Hong Kong's democratic future -- or lack of it -- is in stark contrast to his reputation as a brash, instinct-driven, ex-factory manager whose formal education ended in primary school.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/27/media...index.html

That Lai has ties with the United States is undeniable. Last month, he flew to Washington to discuss with US Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and National Security Adviser John Bolton how fundamental Hong Kong's freedom is to the US' standoff with China.

"The (new) Cold War is actually a rivalry of competing values," Lai says, framing the current US-China trade war as a standoff of between democracy and authoritarianism. "We in Hong Kong are fighting for the shared values of the US against China. We are fighting their war in the enemy camp."

It's a battle Lai says he's prepared to die for.

Hong Kong was still under British rule but barreling towards reunification with China in 1997. As the city watched the Tiananmen crackdown in horror, Giordano began producing T-shirts with pro-student slogans.
Around the same time, Lai says he got divorced from his first wife. "I thought I was a very eligible guy," he says. "That was something shocking to me."

"It's my nature to be a rebel -- to be a revolutionary," Lai says. "I express it in business. Whenever I am in business, I create something different from the norm. That's the reason why I have been successful more than other people. I don't believe in incremental improvement."

The paper didn't care for balanced reporting: This was advocacy journalism, with a strong dose of saucy celebrity gossip.

On news stands, Lai sparked a citywide price war, virtually giving away the sensational title at two Hong Kong dollars (25 cents), the price vendors charged to sell it. "Other papers quickly imitated without much success," says So. "The style of writing, the use of big photos. The pagination. Everything. There was a term called 'Apple-ization.'"

"Nobody trusts the media. You don't trust the police. They don't trust the government," Tien says.
Societal fragmentation has been a theme of the current unrest, as protesters and police have faced off in a series of violent clashes that have been reported from vastly different perspectives across the media.

Lai was in the United States when the bill was announced and was warned by a US politician over breakfast about the danger it posed. "I really alerted myself," remembers Lai. "I looked at it again and said, 'sh%t, this is horrible.' I knew it was going to be a big thing."

His top aide in Hong Kong, Mark Simon, is the son of a former CIA employee.
That last detail never fails to tantalize onlookers. For decades, one of the key charges against Lai has been that he is a CIA stooge, and the Apple Daily a tool of the United States.

For Lai, if the financial hub's economy has to suffer for freedom, so be it: The prospect of a struggle doesn't give people "an excuse not to fight."


PRC Supporters show that he is link to US but below says he has ties to PRC is even more clear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Lai
Lai Chee-Ying, better known by his western name Jimmy Lai, is a Hong Kong entrepreneur.
Born 1948 in an impoverished family in Canton, Kwangtung, China with family roots in nearby Shunde, Lai was educated to fifth grade level.
Smuggled to Hong Kong aboard a small boat at the age of 13, Lai worked as a child-laborer in a garment factory for a wage of $8 per month.[2]
Quote
#7
3-12-2019 9:09 AM
sdecww said:
PRC Supporters show that he is link to US but below says he has ties to PRC is even more clear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Lai
Lai Chee-Ying, better known by his western name Jimmy Lai, is a Hong Kong entrepreneur.
Born 1948 in an impoverished family in Canton, Kwangtung, China with family roots in nearby Shunde, Lai was educated to fifth grade level.
Smuggled to Hong Kong aboard a small boat at the age of 13, Lai worked as a child-laborer in a garment factory for a wage of $8 per month.[2]

Wikipedia is your most reliable source of info? Thinking
Quote
#8
3-12-2019 9:12 AM
polanski said:
Wikipedia is your most reliable source of info? Thinking

I read anything that are creditable.
Anyway, you only believe in PRC media.
Quote
#9
3-12-2019 9:16 AM
sdecww said:
I read anything that are creditable.
Anyway, you only believe in PRC media.

But you love to quote Wikipedia! Laughing

While I read and quote all different media!

Are you blind to ser that? 5
Quote
#10
Though the news(it is a tiny portion of the current events) are from CNN, someone feel that China knows more details then these(the background, the support, the links, etc).
Quote
Users browsing: 1 Guest(s)


Forum Jump: